I presented the university’s report on the 2019-20 Action Plan at the board meeting earlier this month. I would encourage each of you to take a moment to review the report and the slides from my presentation.
Report on work during the pandemic
The report begins with a thorough summary of our work related to COVID-19.
Everyone at the university played a critical role in delivering classes to students and keeping the university operational during this difficult time. Because of your work, Missouri State University will emerge from this situation stronger than ever.
We also undertook an extraordinary amount of work to address enrollment concerns. The university:
- Rolled out a dual credit scholarship program.
- Executed scholarship agreements with all Boys and Girls Clubs in the state.
- Redesigned existing scholarship programs.
- Streamlined transfer articulations with community colleges.
- Executed 3+1 agreements with international partners.
- Waived the application fee.
- Joined the Common App.
These initiatives will have an impact on fall 2020 enrollment.
Unfortunately, the pandemic will also have an impact, so we will probably still have an enrollment decline.
I recently learned that FAFSA filings have declined by 12% in the state of Missouri. Our enrollment indicators predict a decline much lower than 12%.
Headcount and credit hour enrollment for the summer are up, and I believe this is due to the work we have done. We must all continue to work hard to build enrollment through the beginning of the fall semester.
Other highlights for the year include:
- Delivered the most degrees and certificates ever in the history of the university.
- Increased our percentage of underrepresented faculty and staff to 15%.
- Created 17 new online degree and certificate programs.
- Obtained CBHE approval for the Doctorate in Defense and Strategic Studies program (awaiting HLC approval).
- Established the Center for Academic Success and Transition and the Academic Advisement and Transfer Center.
- The MSU Foundation raised the most funds ever in its history.
- Received the most funds through grants and sponsored contracts ever in the university’s history.
- Partnered with the Student African American Brotherhood (SAAB) to move their headquarters to Springfield.
- Historic winning seasons in women’s basketball and men’s soccer.
These are just a few examples of the many accomplishments the university experienced this year.
This was a difficult year for all of us. But through the process of creating the report and presenting it to the board, I was reminded once again that it is a privilege to be a part of this community.
Together, our team of dedicated faculty and staff continues the university on its upward trajectory.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 26, 2023 - September 26, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 19, 2023 - September 19, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 12, 2023 - September 12, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 5, 2023 - September 5, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 29, 2023 - August 29, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 22, 2023 - August 22, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 15, 2023 - August 15, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 8, 2023 - August 8, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 1, 2023 - August 1, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for July 25, 2023 - July 25, 2023