“How Can I Redesign a Classroom Assignment for Online Teaching?”
Although online learning relies heavily on technological aspects of learning management systems, moving an assignment online requires an intentional focus on the learning goals, the methods of assessment, the interaction pathways provided for students, and the instructional supports offered.
This 20-Minute Mentor details the instructional considerations for moving an assignment online and how to set the stage for online development.
“What Culturally Responsive Teaching Techniques Can I Use to Improve Learning?”
This program is designed to teach participants how multiculturalism impacts the classroom in a variety of ways with a variety of learning outcomes. Instructors learn to account for the multitude of cultures in the classroom by teaching in a culturally responsive way that ensures that all students have the same opportunity to learn.
The OLC offers an extensive online learning opportunities for education professionals. Below are just a few of the upcoming workshops.
- April 26: “Copyright & Fair Use, Part I: The Fundamentals”
- May 16–22: “Creating Effective Assessments”
Contact the FCTL for a free Professional Learning Pass to any of these workshops. Visit the link below for more information about these workshops and many others.
The resources from the FCTL’s virtual online boot camps are available as a self-paced course development boot camp. This self-paced version will cover many of the same things as the virtual and on-campus boot camps, but you will be participating at your own schedule and can contact the FCTL Instructional Designers at any time during this process. Their contact information is listed in the meet your instructional designers area of the modules.
What’s included in the self-paced course development boot camp
- Best practices related to online courses and teaching
- Different assessment options available in Blackboard
- How to remove potential barriers for students with disabilities
- Strategies to foster community and engagement in the online classroom
- Strategies to prevent student cheating
- Copyright and fair use in distance education
How to find the self-paced boot camp
- Log into Blackboard and select the Community Tab at the top of the page
- Select Academic Community from the My Organizations module
- Once in the site, on the main menu, locate “self-paced course development boot camp” to access the boot camp materials
Check out these resources:
- 100 Mistakes Academic Writers Make…and How to Fix Them
- Resources for Writers: Digital Writing Tools
- Teaching in Higher Ed
- The Scholarly Teacher
- Faculty Focus Home page
- The K. Patricia Cross Academy Techniques Video Library
The FCTL supports teaching excellence for faculty at all levels. Check out the many support services offered by the FCTL to see how you can benefit.
You need Adobe Reader to view and print documents on this page.