Today, September 22nd, is the first official day of fall and October is quickly approaching. Fall brings beautiful colored leaves, hoodies, and pumpkin spice everything…and this year fall also brings a new filing date for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)!
The opening date to begin filling out the FAFSA has changed this year to October 1st. The new priority deadline is February 1st. If you submit your FAFSA before the priority deadline you become eligible for not only federal aid, but state-based aid (grants) as well!
These changes are for your benefit:
- You will use taxes that are already completed, so you won’t have to esti
mate your tax information and then go back into FAFSA to update it later.
- If you’re selected for verification, there will be more time to get the necessary documentation in, so there will not be any delayed disbursement due to incomplete documentation.
Tips for filling out the FAFSA:
- Double check your information before submitting: Go back through your personal information entered to make sure you didn’t forget or add a number on accident.
- Have all the required documents with you before beginning the application: Look into what information and documentation is required to fill out the FAFSA, so you’re not scrambling to find it mid-application.
- Allow yourself ample time to do the FAFSA: Don’t wait until the last minute to fill it out, because it does take some time to complete. Also, if you apply by the priority deadline you are then eligible for state-based aid in addition to federal-based aid.
Visit www.studentaid.ed.gov for additional information.
Created by: Nicole Lehman