In The Fall 2014 Issue:
|November 26 – December 30||Thanksgiving Break; All Residence Halls and Garst Dining Center are open|
|December 6-11||Final Exam Period|
|December 13||Residence Halls Blair-Shannon, Freddy, Wells, and Woods close at 8:00 a.m.;Kentwood Dining Center will be open over Winter Break. All other Dining Centers are closed for Winter Break|
|December 22 – January 2||Offices Closed|
|January 10||Residence Halls open at 8:00 a.m.|
We have made arrangements for residents needing winter break housing at the University Plaza Hotel. The University Plaza is located at 333 S John Q. Hammons Parkway, one block north of Sunvilla. The cost is $64/night and includes a hot breakfast each morning. If you are interested in taking advantage of these accommodations, please go to: http://forms.missouristate.edu/reslife/winterbreakhousing.php and complete the form.
Please be aware that mail service to all closed residence halls will be suspended and that mail service will not be available until the residence halls reopen in January. Your mail will not be forwarded during the Winter Break. There will be no access to mail during this time, as the reception desks are not staffed. If you are expecting an important piece of mail, please make sure it is mailed to you before your residence hall closes—no later than December 12, 2014—or make other arrangements for delivery.
Students who would like to live off campus but have fewer than 30 successfully completed credit hours will need to go through the exception process. You must meet the exception criteria in order to receive an approved request to live off campus, and approval is not guaranteed. The exception process may take several weeks depending on your situation, so be prepared and contact our office as soon as possible. DO NOT commit yourself to an off-campus housing lease until your current housing obligations are resolved. Please visit our exception page for more information on different types of exceptions. Select the appropriate form or process and attach all required documentation. With questions, please call 417-836-5536.
Your BoomerMeals balance will start over for Spring. Any BoomerMeals left over from the Fall semester will carry forward to Spring.
If you are not returning to the residence halls for Spring, you will lose any unused BoomerMeals from Fall but will not be charged for Spring BoomerMeals.
If you are thinking about leaving Missouri State for the spring semester, please go to your My Missouri State and sign in. Go to Profile->Housing Channel-> Assignments Header->click on End of Semester Plans and let us know about your potential plans:
- You want to Return for the Spring, but you would like to change rooms/buildings
- Tell us your building preference
- Tell us your roommate preference, if you have one
- You are planning to NOT attend Missouri State in the Spring
- Educational Cancellation Form – For students participating in Internships, Student Teaching, or Study Away programs during the spring semester. Please submit your form to Hammons House 104 along with appropriate verification documentation from the Study Away Office, your Internship Company, or your Academic Advisor. All approved Educational Cancellations will receive a refund of the $100 housing deposit minus any damages.
- Breakage Information – For students who wish to request a breakage of their on-campus housing contract but remain a Missouri State student, please contact Hammons House 104. Very few breakages are granted and even those approved will be subject to breakage fees and loss of deposit.
- Fraternity and Sorority Breakages – Fraternity and Sorority students who meet specific criteria are eligible to break their on-campus housing contracts to move into chapter houses (breakage fees will apply). A breakage request form must be submitted to Hammons House 104 no later than January 1st for review. Students will be notified of their status via e-mail by January 5th.
- You are unsure about your plans
- You will need to tell us why you are unsure if you are returning:
- Financial reasons
- Interested in moving into a Fraternity or Sorority House
- Might transfer to another school
- Unsure about final grades
- If you select Other from the drop-down, you may explain your reason in the box provided.
- You will need to tell us why you are unsure if you are returning:
- If you are happy where you are at, we look forward to seeing you in the spring!
If you are not returning to Missouri State after the Fall semester and are eligible for a refund of your deposit, be sure you have updated your permanent address and/or Direct Deposit information in My Missouri State. If you are signed up for Direct Deposit, your housing deposit (minus any damages) will be refunded to your bank account. If you are not signed up for Direct Deposit, the housing deposit (minus any damages) will be mailed to your permanent address. Checks that are mailed to incorrect addresses will be returned to Accounts Receivable and held there for the student to retrieve.
It’s time to start thinking about your plans for the 2015-16 academic year. Think about all of the advantages you experience by living on-campus:
- Convenient billing and pay options
- Easy access to educational resources such as the library, CLAW, and after hours lectures and events
- FREE laundry included and Laundry Alert in Hammons and Hutchens Houses
- FREE cable and internet access with FREE computer support from ResNet
- Meet people and build relationships that last a lifetime!
- Students living on campus outperform their counterparts off campus academically
Look for information about reapplication in January!
Haven is a newly implemented online program that Missouri State University is excited to introduce to incoming freshmen and transfer students. Haven centers on sexual assault prevention and allows students to share their knowledge on sexual assault and bystander intervention. The program goes to lengths to discover what students have previously learned and what they think of the program. It also surveys how students feel about sexual assault prevention after they have attended Missouri State for a couple of months.
The Haven program is set up similarly to other online programs that students may use throughout their college career. The program consists of two parts. The first part includes a pre-survey, six modules, and an exam. There is a 30-45 day intersession between part one and part two. Part two includes a post survey to understand the helpfulness of the course. Please note that all survey answers are completely confidential and the information Missouri State University collects comes from the class as a whole, not individually. Since Haven is required for incoming students, if the first part is not completed through your My Missouri State account, a hold will be placed on your account preventing you from enrolling in Spring courses.