Missouri State University has bike paths across campus that provide a fast and safe means of getting to classes. However, with a large number of bicycles congregated near the residence halls, some use that as an opportunity to snatch them and sell for a few bucks. University Safety has taken several steps to prevent this from occurring, including:
- Adding a second dispatcher to each shift. Their primary duty is to monitoring cameras to identify suspicious individuals near bicycle racks and in parking lots.
- Increasing security cameras covering bicycle racks and parking lots and have several more on the way.
- Providing students with the ability to register their bicycle. We need to identify the owner to allow the police to successfully prosecute when someone is apprehended.
We need your help, such as:
- Use a U-bolt style of bicycle lock. Cable locks are easy to cut. U-bolt are nearly impossible.
- Register your bicycle with Transportation Services.
- Notify Campus Safety if you see anyone suspicious near the bicycle racks. 417-836-5509
- Check on your bicycle regularly.
- Don’t leave your bicycle in poorly lit areas overnight.
Therefore, we encourage you to take these basic precautions so we can keep our campus safe. If you have suggestions, we would like to hear from you.
- Statewide Tornado Drill – Tuesday, March 3rd at 10:00 a.m. - February 26, 2020
- Spring Semester Test of the Missouri State Alert System - January 8, 2020
- Safe Travel Tips - November 22, 2019
- Gas odor near Kentwood Hall - November 22, 2019
- How to keep your possessions safe. - November 11, 2019
- Threat Received by UMKC @ Brick City - November 1, 2019
- Bicycle Thefts – Call to Action - October 22, 2019
- Department of Criminology & Criminal Justice to host events on campus. - October 11, 2019
- Preventing bicycle thefts - October 10, 2019
- Severe weather this afternoon - October 10, 2019