Take a moment to see what’s happening this week in the Division of Student Affairs.
1. Indigenous Heritage Month – Join us in celebrating Indigenous Heritage Month at Missouri State. Here is a unique opportunity for tonight, November 1st. Metropolitan Community College presents Native American Heritage Month Theme: Together Toward Tomorrow. Join for the following event: Lecture: Good Medicine: Finding Your Voice After Collective Trauma by Kyle Ethelbah, White Mountain Apache, Director for College Programs, Center for Academic Enrichment & Outreach, University of Nevada Las Vegas, Monday, November 1st, 6:30-7:45 p.m. CDT. Connect to Zoom at https://zoom.us/j/98456112046.
Ethelbah’s mother passed from domestic violence when he was three years old, his father was in prison until he 25 and died from alcoholism, and his brother committed suicide. He was the last one left and believes that the only thing that was different for him was the opportunity to go to school. An uncle encouraged him to pursue a college education; he participated in TRIO and other college support programs as an undergraduate and credits education for providing him an amazing life.Participation is free and open to the public.
2. You’re invited to the Office of Student Engagement Grand Opening – The Office of Student Engagement will hold its grand opening on Tuesday, November 2nd, 10am -2pm, PSU 127. Stop by, say hello and see the gorgeous space that is available to our students. Encourage the students you work with to take advantage of this opportunity to visit the OSE, win prizes and see a space that is for them!
3. Director of Residence Life, Housing, and Dining Services Director Interviews – The Division of Student Affairs is thrilled to announce three candidates who will be interviewing for the Director of Residence Life, Housing, and Dining Services position. Each candidate will give a presentation at an open forum.
The presentation topic: Retaining students within the Residence Life program is essential for many reasons. Please discuss the importance of retaining students already within the program, retention strategies you would incorporate, and strategies you would use to attract new students to the Residence Halls.
Download the applicant information here: https://blogs.missouristate.edu/studentaffairs/files/2021/11/A-Message-from-the-Division-of-Student-Affairs-FV.pdf
4. Director, Multicultural Services – Student Affairs is happy to announce three candidates that will be interviewing for the Director of Multicultural Programs. Each candidate will give a presentation at an open forum on the topic: Cultural consciousness is one of the three pillars of the University’s public affairs mission.
Download the applicant information here: https://blogs.missouristate.edu/studentaffairs/files/2021/11/Multicultural-Services-Director.pdf
5. Open Enrollment for Benefit Coverage – Missouri State’s open enrollment period is November 1-December 1, 2021. During this time you may enroll, change, or drop coverage related to individual or family member plans. To learn more, visit www.missouristate.edu/benefits
Bonus: Welcome back, Dr. Doman! We would like to thank Dr. Earle Doman for stepping in to help in Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services while the search for the new director continues!