Take a moment to see what’s going on in the Division of Student Affairs this week.
1. Welcome to the New Semester – We are excited to start the Spring semester here at Missouri State. Take a moment to read this note from Dr. Siscoe.
2. Save-the-Date for the Upcoming Town Hall – Save-the-date for a town hall meeting where we will discuss enrollment management, the college merger and academic realignment. The town hall will take place on Friday, January 27th, 3:30-5pm, Plaster Student Union Theatre. The meeting will be live streamed on Zoom. The Zoom link will be posted soon.
3. Spring 2023 Student Affairs All Staff Meeting – Join us for the Spring all staff meeting on Thursday, February 9th, 8am in the PSU Ballroom. This is a great event to come enjoy some refreshments, see your friends and learn about all that’s happening in our area of Missouri State.
4. Annual Cookie Decorating Day Event – Join us on February 14th for our annual Cookie Decorating Day! We’ll be in Ballroom East from 3-4pm enjoying some delicious cookies from Chartwells and catching up with friends. Stay tuned for more information!
5.Grow your communication strategies in the new year! Enjoy a course from our ‘Lead Yourself’ series. – Several courses are available for you to enhance your communication skills. Topics include: Effective Listening (1/25), Communication Basics (2/15) and Writing for Business (3/21). These workshops are sponsored by Organizational and Talent Development, HR. Learn more here: https://blogs.missouristate.edu/human/2023/01/12/grow-your-communication-strategies-in-the-new-year-enjoy-a-course-from-our-lead-yourself-series/
6. Take Part in these Upcoming NASPA Virtual Engagement Opportunities – Take part in these upcoming virtual sessions for professional development:
What About the Staff? Psychological Safety and Leading in Student Affairs, January 25 at 12:00 pm CST
Let’s Prevent the Fire, Instead of Putting it Out: Preventing Burnout in Higher Education, February 15 @ 12:00 pm CST
FYE Pathway to Change and Belonging, March 22 at 12:00 pm CST
All available by Zoom:https://ksu.zoom.us/j/7858262608
Meeting ID: 785 826 2608
7. Giving Day 2023 – Mark your calendar for MSU’s annual Giving Day March 1 & 2, 2023. This 36-hour event makes a difference for Bears across the globe. Rally support for the area at Missouri State that matters to you most. Be a social media influencer and sign up now to be an ambassador for Giving Day. Share your unique link for a chance to earn an exclusive incentive. What can we accomplish in 36 hours when Bears unite?
8. DEI Spotlight- Project Implicit
o The mission of Project Implicit is to educate the public about bias and to provide a “virtual laboratory” for collecting data on the internet. Project Implicit scientists produce high-impact research that forms the basis of our scientific knowledge about bias and disparities. The Implicit Association Test (IAT) measures attitudes and beliefs that people may be unwilling or unable to report. The IAT may be especially interesting if it shows that you have an implicit attitude that you did not know about. For example, you may believe that women and men should be equally associated with science, but your automatic associations could show that you (like many others) associate men with science more than you associate women with science.
o Implicit Association Tests (IATs) available for: