Take a moment to see what’s going on this week in the Division of Student Affairs.
1. MSU recognizes Black History Month – Join in the celebration throughout February. Missouri State University will hold several events to celebrate Black History Month Feb. 7-27. “During Black History Month, also known as African American History Month, the multicultural resources center will honor the achievements, culture and history of African Americans,” said Dr. Nina Barudzic, director of multicultural programs at Missouri State. Learn about Black culture and heritage through talks, games and more. https://news.missouristate.edu/2023/02/01/msu-recognizes-black-history-month/
2. Spring 2023 Student Affairs All Staff Meeting – Join us for the Spring all staff meeting on Thursday, February 9th, 8am in the PSU Ballroom. This is a great event to come enjoy some refreshments, see your friends and learn about all that’s happening in our area of Missouri State.
3. Annual Cookie Decorating Day Event – Join us on February 14th for our annual Cookie Decorating Day! We’ll be in Ballroom East from 3-4pm enjoying some delicious cookies from Chartwells and catching up with friends.
4. DEI Spotlight- The Diversity Gap Podcast – This podcast “explores the gap between our good intentions for diversity and the impact of those intentions. In this collection of conversations, you will be challenged to think about organizational culture and racial diversity in a fresh and nuanced way. You will also pick up on strategies and best practices to help you create the kind of culture you say you want–one where people from all racial backgrounds are equipped with what they need to thrive at work.” Listen now on any podcast platform. https://www.thediversitygap.com/podcast
5. Order a Chocolate Lovers Box from Chartwells for Valentine’s – Chartwells has some divine chocolate boxes available for purchase for Valentine’s Day. The boxes are filled with delicious treats such as cupcakes, cookies, chocolate covered strawberries and so much more. Chartwells will deliver also. To find out what’s in the box, click https://blogs.missouristate.edu/studentaffairs/files/2023/01/chocolate-lovers-box-1.pdf.
6. Giving Day 2023 – Mark your calendar for MSU’s annual Giving Day March 1 & 2, 2023. This 36-hour event makes a difference for Bears across the globe. Rally support for the area at Missouri State that matters to you most. Be a social media influencer and sign up now to be an ambassador for Giving Day. Share your unique link for a chance to earn an exclusive incentive. What can we accomplish in 36 hours when Bears unite?
7. Peer Leader Opportunity to Share with Students in your Department – Interested in a leadership opportunity? Peer Leaders are outstanding student leaders who help first-year students in GEP 101: First Year Foundations courses transition to Missouri State University and succeed in college. Peer Leadership is a unique opportunity to build a variety of leadership skills, make connections with fellow students, network with faculty and staff members at Missouri State, and gain experience that can help you stand out in future professional settings. The Center for Academic Success and Transition is currently searching for students to serve as Peer Leaders in Fall 2023, and we would love the chance to talk with you about this opportunity. We have two information sessions coming up.
Information sessions are an opportunity for interested students to come learn more about Peer Leadership, ask questions, and hear from a panel of current Peer Leaders about their experiences. We would love to see you at our informational sessions (date/time/zoom link below), and you can also feel free to contact me at TraceyGlaessgen@MissouriState.edu with questions. They can find more information about Peer Leadership on the Missouri State University website.
Friday, Feb. 10 @ 12:30-1:15pm (come and go as your schedule permits)
Tuesday, Feb. 14 @ 12:30-1:15pm (come and go as your schedule permits)
BONUS: Bear a Friend – Send a Sleuth (a group of bears) to a co-worker, friend, or professor here at Missouri State. You can send a bunch of bears for a one-time suggested donation of $5.00. The collected funds will go to the Student Emergency Fund. How does it work? Complete the form in the link below and under the cover of darkness (or whenever their office is empty), your friends space will come alive with bears!
The bears will be collected from the office two days after the bearing has taken place. Make a friend/co-worker feel special and have some fun! They’ll receive a note saying “You’ve been BEARed” along with your message!
Learn more here: https://dosaforms.missouristate.edu/view.php?id=207371