Each year, our April Fools’ prank seems to draw more and more attention. In addition, campus community members have begun stopping web and new media staff around campus to tell us just how much they enjoy and look forward to the yearly prank. This is the fourth year we’ve featured a prank, and as always, it is a collaborative effort by the entire office. This year, we worked up a prank that is interactive.
Experimental BearPass login methods
This prank would not have been possible just a few years ago, but with the prevalence of smartphones and tablets, users are no longer skeptical of their devices being able to interact with them in non-standard ways. For April Fools’ Day, we introduced bio-metric login methods to campus (ignoring the fact that we don’t have or store bio-metric data such as this for most campus members). Users were presented with a choice of login methods.
Android phones do it, so why can’t we? Users are asked to stare at the screen and give a big smile. Too bad they don’t yet know the joke is on them.
Going old school, users are asked to stare at the screen without blinking. Part way through the “scan”, users are presented with an “error” and asked to move closer before the “scan” resumes.
Why not talk to your computer? Users are asked to say the words to the Missouri State fight song. The words are displayed karaoke style below the box as an aid. Partway through, an “error” is presented and the user is asked to try again but this time with more spirit.
The joke is on you
No matter which experiment the user chooses, Boomer Bear reminds them after the “scan” that today is in fact April Fool’s.
We hope you enjoyed this year’s prank as much as we did.
- Celebrate Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) on May 19 - May 16, 2022
- New Content Management System Coming Soon - March 3, 2021
- Meet our newest team member: Valerie Cummings - October 20, 2020
- Graduate students: Share the stories of MSU - May 1, 2019
- New design for university websites - April 17, 2019
- Marketing and communications offices have new names - July 6, 2018
- Social Media Kit: Spring 2018 Public Affairs Conference - March 27, 2018
- Lessons learned from the Alumni Association and Bear Bulletin redesigns - March 2, 2018
- Be smart on social: You’re one of us - February 27, 2018
- Recap: Making Your Statement in a Digital World, Spring 2018 - February 26, 2018