The RedDot plugin for TinyMCE has been updated. This version is a maintenance update only, but contains several minor bug fixes. See http://webpress.missouristate.edu/TinyMCE.htm for full details.
It’s been over a year since the last update of TinyMCE for RedDot CMS. I’ve finally completed work on the next major update and it includes several bug fixes and changes:
- Fixed a major bug in the code cleanup routine. The editor is now much more tightly coupled to the Text Editor Settings in the content class. Permission code additions provided by Jeremy Landes at Penn State University.
- The Spell Checker Plugin has been re-written in .NET 1.1 and 2.0 compatible code so it no longer requires extra setup steps. The plugin is now enabled by default.
- The editor has been tested in CMS 7.5, 9, 10.0 and 10.1. Installation instructions are now provided for each version.
- The distribution now ONLY includes the integration plugin and code. Users will need to download the latest version of TinyMCE separately. Since the integration is now completely contained within the plugin, updating the TinyMCE code can be done separately from plugin releases.
After getting pulled in different directions for a while, I was able to come back and work on TinyMCE. I upgraded the integration to pull the permissions for the text element via an AJAX call which was one of the last major hurdles to supporting in-line editing (see https://blogs.missouristate.edu/web/2008/11/03/tinymce-part-deux/).
We’ve entered the final stages of testing of the TinyMCE editor in RedDot. I decided to go ahead and provide a distribution so that those of you chomping at the bit can test it out for yourself. Before you get too excited, the edit in place functionality I previously wrote about is not included. Don’t worry – it’s coming, but I didn’t want to hold up the whole editor just for that piece.
I’ve created a website for the project at http://webpress.missouristate.edu/TinyMCE.htm and included an entire page just about customization options. Installation options for the default install are pretty simple. After that it gets as complicated as you want to make it.
Let the fun begin!
This is a follow-up to a post I wrote a couple of weeks ago. You can catch up at https://blogs.missouristate.edu/web/2008/10/24/the-end-of-an-editor-as-we-know-it/
Two weeks into the project, I’ve got linking and images integrated with the asset manager. After a couple of frustrating tries, I took a radically new approach to Edit via Form and it’s working charmingly (in IE and FireFox). We’ve begun testing in earnest and anticipate rolling out the editor live soon.
But probably the coolest achievement to date was this:
At this point, this functionality is simply a proof of concept. However, I’m working on finishing it up and we plan to implement editing this way in all of our projects. This integration only required a very minor tweak to our template (I added a span tag and an id). There is no RQL magic involved in invoking the editor.