The redesigned Alumni Association website recently launched. The site was edited, restructured and received a mobile-happy makeover, making it adaptive to smartphones and tablets.
Challenges and goals
Anecdotal feedback from users prior to the redesign was that the site was hard to navigate, and that the abundance of content made if difficult to find important information.
Recognizing those challenges, the redesign was approached with the goals of organizing and prioritizing information, and reducing excess content.
Content on the Alumni Association website was streamlined and grouped into eight main categories:
- Stay connected
- Get involved
- View news and media
- Learn about us
- Alumni resources
- Missouri State resources
- Awards and honors
- Show your spirit
Each category now links to a separate landing page with related content.
Summary of changes
Data from before and after the redesign was used to measure progress toward the goal of reducing excess content. Results:
- Reduced the total number of pages from 94 to 44 (53%)
- Reduced the total number of links in the homepage navigation from 25 to 13 (48%)
- Reduced the total number of assets from 542 to 101 assets (82%)
- Reduced the total asset folder size from 71 MB to 15 MB (80%)
- Project lead and content: Courtney Wendel-Stevenson, new media specialist, Web and new media
- Design: Chris Austin, web designer, Web and new media
- Implementation: Brian Heaton, content management programmer/analyst, and Sara Clark, director of Web and new media