The Diabetes Workshop is for anyone with diabetes and prediabetes or anyone else who has a special interest in diabetes such as a caregiver or a family member of someone with diabetes.
This workshop includes 6 classes, one hour each. A personalized meal plan will be provided for each participant. The workshop will include a variety topics presented with PowerPoint presentations, guest speakers, in-class demonstrations and hands-on activities.
Topics to be discussed throughout the Diabetes Workshop:
Class 1 – What is Diabetes?
- Understanding diabetes
- How diabetes medications (including insulin) work
- Monitoring blood sugar – When to test and what the results mean
Class 2 – Eating with Diabetes
- Carbohydrate versus calorie counting
- How to plan meals and snacks, including meal and snack ideas!
- How to prioritize information on Nutrition Facts label – Bring your food packages from home.
- What to order at a restaurant, including “Best Picks” – Bring a menu from your favorite restaurant.
Class 3 – More on Eating with Diabetes & How Exercise Helps
- Recipes and what to eat
- How to eat what you love and still control your blood sugar
Class 4 – Living With Diabetes
- Recognizing and treating hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Causes & preventing hyperglycemia (high blood sugar)
- Caring for your feet
- What to do on sick days
Class 5 – Complications of Diabetes
- How having diabetes impacts your overall health
- What to look for and what health tests to have on a regular basis
- How to prevent diabetes complications
Class 6 – Putting it All Together
- “Participants Choice” review session – YOU choose what you want to learn more about.
- How to find support
- Troubleshoot problems & know your resources
- Set SMART goals
Spring 2017 Session
Class 1 – Wednesday, March 22nd
Class 2 – Wednesday, March 29th
Class 3 – Wednesday, April 5th
Class 4 – Wednesday, April 12th
Class 5 – Wednesday, April 19th
Class 6 – Wednesday, April 26th
Time: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Location: PSU 308 A & B
Registration fee is $45 for all 6 sessions and includes a meal at each session plus all your materials. Non-credit fee waiver eligible.
Instructor: Sarah Bowman, Diabetic Educator and Registered Dietitian.
Please register using the new Learning Management System:
– Login at My Missouri State.
– Go to the “Profile” tab.
– Click “My Learning Connection” under the Professional Development section.
– Once there, type Diabetes Workshop into the search box at the upper right of the screen.
– Follow the prompts to use your non-credit fee waiver or pay for the class.
Questions? Contact BenHunt@missouristate.edu