What is Maroon Moves?
Are you looking for a way to start moving more? Do you need a little friendly competition to get you motivated? Get ready for Maroon Moves! Maroon Moves is a walking challenge for all full-time Missouri State University employees.
- Maroon Moves begins October 1st and ends October 31st.
- Get a group of 4-8 colleagues together, come up with a creative team name, and compete against other teams at the university!
- If you can’t find a team, you can be assigned to one! Contact us to be placed on a team.
Why a Walking Challenge?
- Walking is a great way to meet the American Heart Association’s recommendations for physical activity for adults. It is recommended that all adults get at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity or 75 minutes per week of vigorous aerobic activity, or a combination of both, preferably spread throughout the week.
- The goal of the Maroon Moves Walking Challenge is to increase the physical activity levels of Missouri State University employees during the work day.
How Does Maroon Moves Work?
The walking challenge will be managed through a very simple digital platform called Challenge Runner. Challenge Runner syncs with your personal fitness tracker and automatically records the data to a leader board on Challenge Runner’s website and mobile app. To participate in Maroon Moves, you must create a Challenge Runner account.
- Challenge Runner pairs with most major personal fitness trackers like: Fitbit, Garmin, Google Fit, Apple Health, Samsung Health, Misfit, Nokia (Withings), Omron, and Polar.
- Manual input of steps is also available. A personal fitness tracker is not required to participate in Maroon Moves.
- Pedometers are available by request
- To request a pedometer, send an email to the Employee Wellness Coordinator, Ben Hunt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the main event page at https://www.missouristate.edu/wellness/walking-challenge.htm for additional resources and prize information!
NEW this Fall!! – Share the Walk
Share the Walk is a new feature that will be added to the Fall 2019 Maroon Moves Challenge. Here’s how it works:
- Registered Challenge participants are encouraged to submit 1 photo each week that is taken during a walk. Photos can be a selfie or anything else that they find particularly interesting during the walk!
- Participants who submit a photo will receive 1 entry into a weekly random prize drawing. Maximum 1 entry per week.
- Submit your photo by emailing it to email@example.com. Deadline to submit a photo is each Friday at 5:00 PM.
- Each weekly winner will be announced the following Monday, along with their submitted photo.
- All submitted photos will be added to an online gallery for viewing on the Maroon Moves webpage.
- Check out the gallery each week to see new photos of what Challenge participants experience on their walks!
How to Join
Registration is Free and Open NOW through October 5th!
1. Click the following link: http://msuwellness.challengerunner.com
2. Look for “Available Challenges”, check the box next to “Maroon Moves – Fall 2019”, then click “Enroll”
3. Create a new Challenge Runner account or to log in to your existing Challenge Runner account to join the Challenge!
Note: You may register on Challenge Runner, but the platform will not start recording steps until the challenge begins on October 1st.
For other questions see the resource library below!
Employee Wellness Coordinator | Ben Hunt: firstname.lastname@example.org