UPCOMING DUE DATES
- Summer Graduate Assistant Fund – applications are due January 31. The faculty must complete theSGAF Form and submit it via email attachment to the ORA (email@example.com).
- SCUF proposals are due to Dean’s Office January 24. Contact your department head or representative to CNAS IT Committee for more information.
- Foundation Awards nominations due to the department head on January 27.
- Faculty Research Grants applications due January 30/February 1 (depending on which calendar you look at – I’ll try to get clarification). http://graduate.missouristate.edu/facultystaff/FacultyResearchGrants.htm
Please keep us informed and we will add your news to the list!
Please submit seminar schedules to the master calendar and tag CNAS so we can all have access to seminar schedules!
RECENTLY AWARDED GRANTS
- Peter Plavchan: Congratulations on your increased award from NASA through the Missouri EPSCoR program!
- Jason Ray and Megan Clark: Congratulations on your contract with Village of Four Seasons!
- Jane Hood: Congratulations on your contract with the Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce!
- Brett Garland and Ronald Malega: Congratulations on the second year of your award from the Missouri State Highway Patrol for a domestic violence research project for SAC grant!
- Mike Reed: Congratulations on the augmentation of your award, Missouri Space Grant Consortium, funded by NASA and Missouri S & T!
- STEM-based education develops students as learners and people in addition to readying them for jobs. Check out this story in Springfield’s news-leader.com website: STEM grows students toward a fully developed future
- Zach Wilson, graduate student in chemistry, was featured in Spotlights for giving a presentation to the American Chemical Society (ACS) this past August in Philadelphia. You can access his presentation through ACS.org.
SUSTAINABILITY CORNER & GREEN TEAMS
We use 17 million barrels of oil a year to make disposable plastic water bottles.
Up to 40% of bottled water is actually just tap.
Every day in the US, 85 million plastic bottles are thrown in the trash.
In order to support the efforts of sustainability with the university, the dean’s office faculty and staff has formed a Green Team. Attached is our new certificate showing that we have reached the Bronze Level of Leaf Two. It doesn’t take a lot of effort to create a Green Team or to get certified. In fact, you may all ready be recycling bottles and paper, powering down your computers and copiers, and shutting off lights at the end of the day. Make a commitment to become more sustainable! I strongly encourage you to create your own Green Team and show your support to the environment. For more information, go to the Green Teams and reach out directly to Jordan Schanda, Sustainability Coordinator.
CALENDAR – 2017
Jan 17 Spring Semester Classes Begin Today
Jan 21 Presidential Scholar Interview Day
Jan 25 Digital Measures open lab, 2:00-4:30, KEMP 207
Jan 26 Digital Measures open lab, 2:00-4:30, CHEK 209
Feb 6 Faculty submit annual report, along with posting publications and presentations into Digital Measures today for annual review
See above for open lab dates if you would like help posting your publications and presentations.
Feb 18 Discover Engineering Day, 12-3 PM, Plaster Center
Feb 20 Holiday (Presidents’ Day)
Feb 25 Science Olympiad
Feb 26 HL Wine Tasting and Silent Auction, 3-5 PM, Double Tree Hotel
Mar 1 HL Career Fair – presentations and fair
Mar 1 HL Board of Advisors, 4:00-5:30 PM, Pummill 402
Mar 2 HL Career Fair – interview day
Mar 11-19 Spring Break (offices open!)
Mar 25 Spring Showcase
Mar 28-30 Spring Academic Integrity Days
Mar 30 HL Speaker Series, 2:00-3:15, PSU Theatre
Apr 4-7 OSEF Ozarks Science and Engineering Fair
Apr 4-7 Public Affairs Conference
Apr 13-14 Spring Holiday (no classes, offices open 13, offices closed 14)
Apr 14 Public Affairs Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
Apr 18 CNAS Faculty & Staff awards, 4:00, Temple 001
Apr 20-21 Collaborative Diversity conference
Apr 28 CNAS Undergraduate Research Day, 2:00 PM, PSU Ballroom
Apr 29 Graduate College IDF
May 2 All Faculty reception, 3:00 pm, PSU Ballroom
May 12 Study Day
May 13-18 Finals Week
May 19 Spring 2017 Commencement
Jun 2-4 Mid-States Region – Astronomical League (MSRAL) Convention
- Tune in every Thursday morning at 9:45 AM for 5-minute STEM Spots on KSMU hosted by Dr. David Cornelison.
- Check out CNAS blog and CNAS NewsWatch for more information.
- CNAS NEWS posted by University Communications – news.missouristate.edu/tag/cnas
- Follow CNAS on Twitter: @CNASatMSU
- Like CNAS on Facebook: CNAS at MSU