In recognition of outstanding academic advising, two Missouri State University Curtis P. Lawrence Excellence in Advising awards will be presented during the spring semester 2013. One will honor a faculty advisor, and one will honor an advisor who is a member of the professional staff. Each recipient will receive a $1500 cash award, presented at a reception to honor all Master Advisors.
To nominate an outstanding advisor, please submit the name by 1 p.m. on Thursday, December 6 to Kathy Davis, director of the Academic Advisement Center. Candidates may be nominated by current students, alumni or colleagues. Submit the name in an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a note through campus mail.
After the nomination is received, the advisor will be notified and asked to submit application materials that will be due on Friday, January 25, 2013 at 9 a.m. A selection committee will be co-chaired by Christopher Lynn and Linda Trinh Moser, previous award winners.
Qualifications for Nomination:
- Nominee must have a minimum of two years of service to Missouri State at the time of nomination as a full-time employee with on-going academic advising responsibilities and currently assigned advisees.
- Nominee must be a current Master Advisor.
- Nominee must not have received the award in the previous three years.
If you need to know whether an advisor is qualified to be nominated, contact Kathy Davis at 836-5258 or KathyDavis@missouristate.edu.
Criteria for Selection:
- Knowledge of campus information and resources and use of that knowledge in helping students.
- Knowledge of major and career-related information and academic policies and use of that knowledge in assisting students.
- Demonstration of advising as a priority activity.
- Use of innovative advising techniques and/or development of advising materials or systems.
- Effective documentation of advising sessions through “Advising Notes.”
- Reasonable accessibility to advisees and effective use of available time with advisees.
- Efforts to create positive relationships with students.
- Support of advisor training and development programs and efforts to improve advising services at Missouri State University.
Questions regarding the Curtis P. Lawrence Excellence in Advising Awards and the Master Advisor Program should be addressed to:
Kathy Davis, Director of the Academic Advisement Center
University Hall, Room 109
417 836-5258 email@example.com
Master Advisor Awards Reception
Thursday, March 21, 4-5 pm in
Plaster Student Union 400, Union Club