I’ve probably said “We used to have this event, but we can’t now because of COVID” a thousand times since March 2020. So many things canceled, postponed and changed. It’s been hard for us. We are always on the go, having lots of events in a single day, lots of choices, but now, it’s different. We are having to think outside the box in order to find a new normal.
Let’s think about things in a positive light. There is so much you CAN do! And let me say, everything we do doesn’t have to be an over-the-top event. Think about some of the things you can do this semester:
- Check-out the events being planned by the Student Activities Council. That’s right, there are still lots and lots of events going on. What does it matter if they are virtual or there is social distancing and masks? Students just like you have planned these events for you! Take advantage of these! From movies, to virtual concerts and bowling, there is still plenty to do on campus!
- Apply for a leadership position in an organization. There are lots and lots of leadership opportunities at Missouri State. You just need to take a moment to really look for them. Apply to be a Resident Assistant, a Ursa Major, Peer Leader or a University Ambassador. These are just a few of the opportunities available to you. Visit CampusLink to apply for these great programs.
- Get ready for the 2021-2022 school year! Apply for scholarships (March 1st is the deadline to apply for donor-funded scholarships), complete the FAFSA (February 1st is the Missouri State priority date), start researching the classes you need to take for your major. Look up internship opportunities at businesses that interest you. Are you wanting to study away? It’s never too early to start planning a study away trip.
- Volunteer! Just because we are in a pandemic doesn’t mean that there aren’t chances to participate in community service. Contact the local dog shelter to see if they need dog walkers. Collect supplies for a homeless shelter. Look on the Springfield government website to see the listing of needs.
- Enjoy the great outdoors. Cheesy, right? But why not? We all spend so much time in front of our computer and our TV that we don’t get out to enjoy nature. Springfield has so many parks and greenway trails plus, we are in the Ozarks…there are all kinds of state parks to explore. Have you been to Elephant Rocks State Park? You should visit! Check out Springfield Park Board website for more info.
- Spring athletic events. Check out the Missouri State Bears calendar of upcoming games. Missouri State football will start playing games in February. Currently the men’s and women’s basketball teams are playing. And the men’s and women’s soccer teams are getting ready to start their season. Volleyball will be hitting the court in just a few days. There is something for everyone.
- Watch “how-to” videos and take up a new hobby. There are “how-to” videos for all sorts of things. Learn how to make a beautiful cake, edit videos or paint. Think about what you’ve wanted to learn and utilize this time to learn something new.
- Get involved with a student organization. It’s never too late to get involved, and there are over 365 student organizations on campus. And yes, these organizations are still having events, some of them virtual but some on-campus. Visit CampusLink to find a group that interests you.
- Work on your family history. We’ve all been thinking a lot about our family members over the past year. We miss being able to spend time with them. But, take this time to work on a family history of your family. Zoom with your grandparents, aunts and uncles, siblings and parents and collect their stories. What a great gift for 2021!
- Read those books you’ve been talking about. Even college students have books they’ve been meaning to read. You might not admit it, but you know it’s true. Take this time to read those books. Start a virtual book club with your friends.
- Take virtual tours. Oh, my goodness, there are all kinds of virtual tours of famous locations right now. Look up a place you’ve always wanted to visit and see what they have available virtually! Very cool!