CNAS Faculty Search Updates
We successfully completed searches for five tenure track faculty this year.
- Cyren Rico (BS University of the Philippines Los Banos; MS Kyungpook National University, South Korea; PhD University of Texas at El Paso) will join the Department of Chemistry in August – environmental chemistry.
- Krista Evans (BS Northern Michigan University; MS Central Washington University; PhD Clemson University expected soon) will join the Department of Geography, Geology and Planning in August – planning/human geography.
- Babur Mirza (BS University of Agriculture, Pakistan; MS Quaid-I-Azam University, Pakistan; PhD Texas State University) will join the Department of Biology in August – microbiology.
- David Perkins (BS University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; MA University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; PhD University of North Carolina at Greensboro) will join the Department of Geography, Geology and Planning in August – geography/tourism.
- Yoshimasa (Nancy) Kageyama (BA National Taiwan Normal University; MS University of Massachusetts Amherst; PhD University of Central Florida) will join the Department of Hospitality Leadership.
We currently have three instructor positions open and will be interviewing for those soon (1 – HL and 2 MTH).
Our search for a new department head of Computer Science did not lead to a successful outcome. We brought candidates to campus for interviews. The committee, CSC faculty and I agreed that the candidates were not going to be the right leader for the department. The application pool was small for this search and we are investigating ways of improving the size and quality of the pool of candidates for next year. This search will start again soon. In the meantime, Dr. Jorge Rebaza has agreed to serve as interim department head of computer science for the upcoming year. Thank you, Dr. Ken Vollmar, for your years of service to the department as department head.
THIS WEEK’S SEMINARS & EVENTS
Check the CNAS homepage for all listings and details of seminars.
Public Affairs Conference is this week. Please look at the schedule and attend one event! I look forward to seeing you there!
- Hospitality Week is here – read the blog for more details!
- Engineering’s Model Bridge Competition – Apr 5 at 4:30 PM in Hammons Student Center
- Chemistry – Apr 5, Versatile Vanadium: From Materials to Biology
- Mathematics – April 6-8, National Convention of Kappa Mu Epsilon (MTH) meets in Springfield!
- GGP – Apr 7, Magma water interactions: experiments and deposits
STUDENT RESEARCH FORUMS
Abstracts are due April 10 for IDF and April 12 for CNAS Undergraduate Research Day.
Earth Day/Month Activities –
- Ecopalooza occurs on campus – Friday, April 21
- BSFS spring update is out. Contact attached. Email email@example.com for a copy. See past BSFS newsletters.
- Peter Plavchan, assistant professor – PAMS, receives funding to plan a NASA mission!
- Matthew Siebert, assistant professor of chemistry, published an article which can be found in a recent CNAS blog post: What do gum and anti-cancer drugs have in common?
- Cheryl McClease, instructor of GGP, published a cookbook of recipes with earth science lessons: Earth Changing Recipes (Earth Day is April 22!)
The latest CNAS NEWS is published here – CNAS NewsWatch
Science on Screen: 2017 – Moxie Theatre! – All screenings start at 7:00 p.m.
Apr 18: The Conversation (1974) w/Dr. Shannon McMurtrey (DRURY, Computer sciences/Security)
Admission prices are $9 for Adults and $8 for Seniors/Students Members will have discounted tickets.
As a follow up to the annual Tornado Drill earlier this month, it’s a good time to think about safety and remind you of the services on campus. Go to http://www.missouristate.edu/safetran/ for more information about emergency-related issues.
CALENDAR – 2017
Apr 4-7 OSEF Ozarks Science and Engineering Fair – Apply to be a judge – http://www.k12science.missouristate.edu/OSEF/Judges_2017.htm
Apr 10 Town Hall Meeting – Budget 1:30 PM – PSU Theatre. All are welcome.
April 12 Pummill Relays
Apr 13-14 Spring Holiday (no classes – offices open 13, offices closed 14)
Apr 20-21 Collaborative Diversity conference
April 21 Ecopalooza
Apr 28-29 GGP Board of Advisors meeting
Apr 28 CNAS Undergraduate Research Day, PSU Ballroom
Student Poster Presentations 1pm – 3pm
Judging 1:15pm – 2:45pm
Speaker: Dr. Nikolay Gerasimchuk 3:00pm
Faculty, Staff and Student Awards 3:30pm
Apr 29 Graduate College IDF
May 2 All Faculty reception, 3:30 pm, PSU Ballroom
May 12 Study Day
May 13-18 Finals Week
May 19 Spring 2017 Commencement (CNAS is 5:00 PM)
- Tune in every Thursday morning at 9:45 AM for 5-minute STEM Spots on KSMU hosted by Dr. David Cornelison.
- Check out CNAS blog and CNAS NewsWatch for more information.
- CNAS NEWS posted by University Communications – news.missouristate.edu/tag/cnas
- Follow CNAS on Twitter: @CNASatMSU
- Like CNAS on Facebook: CNAS at MSU