MSU’s chapter of the American Chemical Society (ACS) is celebrating National Chemistry Week. Spread the word – Get In The Chemistry Spirit.
Please join me in supporting our campus and our community by making a gifts to the MSU Foundation and United Way. You can find more information about both campaigns at https://www.missouristatefoundation.org/facultystaffcampaigns.html
I use payroll deduction for my gifts but you have many options. I hope you will join me in investing in our community and our university. Tammy
Friday, October 26 – Please join our graduate students as they present at the 3-Minute Thesis Competition! 5:00 PM in Glass Hall Room 101. https://graduate.missouristate.edu/currentstudents/265901.htm
Seminars through the end of the semester
All seminars are posted on the CNAS homepage.
- Thu, Oct 25 – PAMS: Mechanisms of Cerium Oxide Nanoparticles Interaction with Plants, by Cyren Rico, 4-5 PM, Kemper 206
- Thu, Nov 1 – PAMS: A Simple Case of Quantum Magnetism: Evidence of Bose-Einstein Condensation in an Unexpected Place, by Gavin Hestor, 4-5 PM, Kemper 2016
- Fri, Nov 2 – GGP: Geoparks: Merging geology, geography and sustainability, by Linnea Iantria, 2:30-3:30 PM, Temple 345
- Wed, Nov 7 – CHM: Synthetic Biopolymers in Nanotechnology: A New Era of Targeted Drug Delivery and Cancer Therapy, by Santimukul Santra, 3:35-4:30 PM, LIBR 101
- Fri, Nov 9 – BIO: Bioremediation of chlorinated solvents, Mark Krzmarzick, 4-5 PM, Temple 003
- Fri, Nov 16 – GGP: The Mechanics of Slow Earthquakes and the Spectrum of Fault Slip Behaviors, Chris Marone, 2:30-3:30 PM, Temple 345
- Fri, Nov 16 – BIO: Phylogeography, hybridization, and reproductive isolation in a topminnow species complex, by David Duvernell, 4-5 PM, Temple 003
- Fri, Nov 30 – GGP: American Golgotha: Planning for the Dead, by Carton Basmajian, 2:30-3:30 PM, Temple 345
CNAS STEM Career Expo – November 5 – Faculty, please share this information with your classes.
The career expo in the PSU Ballroom is for all STEM CNAS students. First and second year students who are interested in learning about careers in STEM may attend to learn about options. Any student (undergraduate or graduate) who is interested in an internship or a job should bring a resume as they will have an opportunity to speak directly with one of the 15 companies who will be in attendance. Students who wish to participate must attend the full program from 3:30-5:30 PM. During this time period students will learn about interview skills and other important information to prepare for an interview; career possibilities at the 15 companies; and finally students will practice their interview skills prior to meeting with each individual company. A flyer is attached so you can share it with your students. All CNAS faculty are also welcome to attend this event. (Hospitality Leadership held their career expo on October 17 and it was truly an awesome event.)
Professor Salary Incentive Program (PSIP) sessions/workshops will be held in CARR 203 on: Wed, Oct 24 at 9 AM or Thu, Oct 25 at 2 PM
Applications are due into the Dean’s Office in electronic format by Friday, December 14.
Please visit the Office of the Provost website for more information on timeline, application process, and samples of components of past successful applications.
HEALTH & SAFETY NEWS
- Drug Take Back Day occurs on Saturday, October 27.
Because of the wild Missouri weather lately, I want to remind you of the following items at MSU:
- Ridwan Sakidja is working on a collaborative project designing and fabricating tunnel junctions to enable technology for future electronics.
- HR’s open enrollment for benefits is November 1 through December 1.
- Two workshops are available to learn how to make your classroom inclusive.
- Assessment of student learning grants are available now.
CNAS committee meetings
- STEM Education – Thu, Nov 1 at 3:00 PM in Temple 156
SUSTAINABILITY & WATER NEWS
- The MSU Campus Garden helps our local community and is now registering volunteers for next summer.
- Tri-State Water Resource Coalition and MSU will hold the TriState Water Conference on Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at Darr Ag Center. Click for more information and to register. Students attend free but you must register!
CALENDAR – 2018
Oct 30 TriState Water Coalition Conference – more information and to register
Nov 5 CNAS STEM Career Expo
Nov 5-7 Missouri Mathematics and Science Coalition STEM Summit 2018 in KC
Nov 10 MAKO – Mathematics Undergraduate Research Day
Nov 21-25 Thanksgiving – No Classes/Offices Closed
Nov 25-27 ABET Visit for Computer Science
Dec 6 Last day of fall classes
Dec 7-13 Final exam period
Dec 14 Fall Commencement (CNAS is at 10 AM)
Dec 20-Jan 2 Offices Closed at MSU