Welcome back, CNAS faculty and staff! A special welcome to our newest faculty member – Dr. Siming Liu, Computer Science.
EVENTS this week
- Mon, Jan 7 – Fri, Jan 11: Faculty/Staff Free Week at the Foster Recreation Center
- Wed, Jan 9 – Staff Awards Luncheon at JQH, 11:30-1:30
- Fri, Jan 25 – GGP: Conservation Planning Tools, by Ronda Burnett, 2:30-3:30 PM, Temple 345
- Fri, Feb 1 – GGP: Combat GIS, by David Johnson, 2:30-3:30 PM, Temple 345
The Graduate College has funding opportunities for research grants, hiring graduate teaching assistants, and international travel.
Outstanding work by faculty, staff and students…
- Chemistry Advisory Board members participated in a “Careers in Chemistry” panel for students.
- Mike Reed and two PAMS students published work on evolved stars.
- Femila Manoj, biology major, received grant from Beta Beta Beta Research Foundation to study bacteria.
- GGP hosted an Earthscope speaker on campus in November.
- Several undergraduate and graduate chemistry students presented research at the American Chemical Society Meeting in October.
- Melida Gutierrez published an article on salt content of dairy farms.
- James Miller, emeritus professor of geology, spoke about his research at the International Conference on Ediacaran and Cambrian Sciences in China this past summer.
- Heather Oswald, chemistry alumnus, returned to campus in October to speak about her research with anti-HIV drugs.
- Three CNAS students received the Citizen Scholar Award.
- Thousands of solar eclipse glasses from August 2017 were recycled (i.e. donated) to Astronomers Without Borders.
CNAS COMMITTEE MEETINGS
- Thu, Jan 10: Scholastic Appeals, Temple 145, 8 AM assemble; 8:30 AM first appointment
- Fri, Jan 11: CNAS Student Success Search Committee, Temple 156, 10-11 AM
- Tu, Jan 15: College Council, Temple 145, 3 PM
- Wed, Jan 16: STEM LLC Committee, Temple 156, 10-11 AM
- Thu, Jan 17: CNAS Student Recruitment Committee, Temple 145, 3-4 PM
Jan 10 CNAS Leadership Team Retreat 1-5 PM in Temple Hall 156
Jan 14 Spring 2019 Classes start today
Jan 15 CNAS College Council Meeting
Jan 21 MLK Holiday – No Classes/Offices Closed
Jan 26 Elementary Science Olympiad
Jan 26 Presidential Scholarship Interview Day
Feb 12 CNAS College Council Meeting
Feb 18 President’s Day – No Classes/Offices Closed
Feb 23 Regional Science Olympiad (middle/high school)
Mar 5 CNAS College Council Meeting
Mar 9-17 Spring Break
Mar 16-May 26 Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit – housed in Meyer Library
Mar 26-28 Ozarks Science & Engineering Fair (OSEF)
Mar 29 Admitted Student Day
Apr 4 HL Executive Speaker today!
Apr 9 CNAS College Council Meeting
May 3 CNAS Faculty/Staff Awards Presentation at NOON
May 3 CNAS Undergraduate Research Day
May 4 Einhellig IDF – Graduate College
May 11-16 Final Exams
May 17 Commencement
May 18-May 22 Annual Steam Outage (campus wide: domestic hot water, food service & facility heat)
June 10 Summer Session Begins
July 5 Tentative – Electrical Outage (Partial campus. More details to follow)
July 26 Summer Visit Day
August 2 Summer Session Ends