Carrie’s Café opens tomorrow Tuesday, March 5!
The spring 2019 menu is on the café’s webpage – Reservations preferred; walk-ins welcome.
- This is Severe Weather Preparedness Week in the State of Missouri.
- Tomorrow Tuesday, March 5 at 10:00-10:15 a.m. is the Annual Statewide Severe Weather Exercise (aka Tornado Drill). You are requested to treat the drill as if it were an actual tornado warning and evacuate to your building’s shelter location. If your class/lab cannot participate in the exercise, please pause when the alarm sounds and cell phones start to buzz and take a moment to remind everyone of both the procedures and the shelter locations. Inform your students that there are evacuation concerns for people with physical or other impairments.
- Remember, not everyone grew up in Missouri, so this information may be new to someone!
SEMINARS THIS WEEK
- Wed, Mar 6 – CHM: 3:35 PM, Library 101
- Thurs, Mar 7 – PAMS: 3:00 PM, Kemper Hall 206
- Fri, Mar 8 – BIO: Fire ecology of forest ants – Studies of scale, by Robin Verble, 4:00-5:00 PM, Temple 003
CNAS COMMITTEE MEETINGS THIS WEEK
- Tu, Mar 5: Diversity Committee, 2-3 PM, Temple 145
- Tu, Mar 5: College Council, 3:30-4:30 PM, Temple 145
MSU is searching for an Associate Dean of the Graduate College. The posting is live and can be accessed by clicking on this link, first date of consideration is Monday, April 1. If you are interested in this position, please apply!
Order regalia for spring 2019 commencement by this Friday, March 8.
DEADLINE coming up
- Missouri Academy of Science (MAS) annual meeting on April 12-13, 2019 – register and submit abstracts (deadline is Wed, March 20)
Spring Break starts March 9. Classes resume on March 18.
Student Volunteers needed for Ozarks Science & Engineering Fair (Tu-Thu, March 26-28, 2019)
Student volunteers are needed to help set up, administer, and take down the Fair.
- The Fair takes place March 26 – March 28, 2018, at Hammons Student Center (right next door to the Arena).
- Volunteer time slots start as early as 9 AM and generally end by 10 PM on Tuesday, 6 PM on Wednesday, and 10 PM on Thursday.
- Students can sign up on their own at our SignUp Genius page – this allows students to pick the times they want to work, and adjust their schedules as needed.
Any questions or concerns, contact Sue McCrory at ext. 6-6120.
SEMINARS in March after spring break
- Fri, Mar 22 – GGP: The what, where, when and why of the Laramide orogeny, by Jacob Thacker, 2:30-3:30, Temple 345
- Fri, Mar 22 – BIO: Genetics, environmental education, and birds: A career linking diverse interests, by Janice Greene, 4-5 PM, Temple 003
Outstanding work by faculty, staff and students…
- CNAS student organizations donated more than 126 pounds of non-perishable food items and supplies last semester to the Discovery Center and Ozarks Food Harvest
- Five biology students with Kyoungtae Kim’s lab attended the Midwest Yeast Meeting last November.
Faculty who may be interested in service-learning and/or collaborating with community agencies for research, grant writing, student learning opportunities and more are invited to attend MSU’s Community Engagement Conference. This event is sponsored by the Center for Community Engagement & the Office of Public Affairs Support. Faculty is welcome to attend all or any part of the conference. There is no charge for attending and includes lunch! Pre-register online, even if attending a portion of the conference. Contact Stacey Trewatha-Bach for more information.
CNAS COMMITTEE MEETINGS after spring break
- Thu, Mar 21: MNAS Committee, 11a-12p, Temple 145
- Fri, Mar 22: STEM Education Committee, 3:30-4:30 PM, Temple 156
- The Standard featured an article on the new CNAS greenhouse expansion.
- Smithsonian traveling exhibition Roots of Wisdom runs Monday, March 18 – Friday, May 24 in Meyer Library. Volunteers needed on these dates and times.
- CNAS Dean’s Office is supporting a donation drive for the newly launched Bear Pantry in PSU 131. Bring non-perishables to Temple 142.
Mar 9-17 Spring Break
Mar 18-May 26 Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit – Roots of Wisdom has limited viewing times – in Meyer Library 107
Mar 25 Opening Reception for Traveling Exhibit, 4:30-6:00 PM, LIBR 107 (Welcome remarks at 5:15p) View MSU master calendar post
Mar 26-28 Ozarks Science & Engineering Fair (OSEF)
Apr 4 HL Executive Speaker today
Apr 9 CNAS College Council Meeting
Apr 26 CNAS 7th Annual College Picnic hosted by CNAS Diversity Committee – Phelps Grove Park, 5-8 PM
Apr 30 All Faculty Recognition – Provost and President will be presenting awards, PSU Ballroom West
May 3 CNAS Faculty/Staff Awards Presentation at NOON Nominations are due: Friday, April 5 – Other dates and information are on the awards policy.
May 3 CNAS Undergraduate Research Day All deadlines are posted. Abstracts are due April 22.
May 4 Einhellig IDF – Graduate College
May 11-16 Final Exams
May 17 Spring Commencement
May 18-22 Annual Steam Outage (campus wide: domestic hot water)
June 10 Summer Session and SOAR begins today
August 2 Summer Session Ends