University Updates and Events
University buildings will continue to be closed/locked until August 3. The only exception will be a few buildings that will be used for SOAR on Mondays and Tuesdays – that includes Cheek Hall and the lecture hall portion of Temple Hall only.
The October 18 Commencement ceremony for Spring/Summer 2020 will be split into two groups at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.. CNAS students will be included during the 10 a.m. ceremony.
CNAS Updates and Events
Recent news from the college:
- Fueling research in a new, interdisciplinary direction
- Building capabilities to reach greater results
- Diving into aquatic plant research
- Our Geology Field Camp made the news last week. A great collaboration story! https://www.ozarksfirst.com/local-news/local-news-local-news/local-geologists-help-teach-students-prevented-from-going-to-study-programs/.
- If you would like to see past stories please visit CNAS NewsWatch!
Current schedules for office hours (these are subject to change):
- Dean’s Office open M-R 10 AM to 4 PM (to help with SOAR as needed)
- ITSS and DUSS Staff – Brian, Ken and Craig available
- HL Office open – M-R 9 AM to 4 PM
- PAMS Office open – MWR 8:30 AM to 1:30 PM
- BIO Office open – T 1 to 5 PM
Fire alarm test schedule (any CNAS building not listed has already had their test/inspection):
- Temple Hall: July 21
Globally Responsive Education and Teaching (GREAT)
Associate Deans Xiaomin Qiu and Kyoungtae Kim have been very active with GREAT, an initiative launched by International Leadership and Training Center, Office of China Programs, and Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning to promote dialogues and discussions on the internationalization of curriculum and instruction. Kyoungtae said, “One of the key goals of the board is to develop a learning community for our faculty to engage and learn together in improving global teaching and learning. To this end, a few advisory board members including me have produced short videos covering topics, including but not limited to what efforts are needed to teach an online class in the international context, how to perceive and address language barrier and cultural difference issues in online classes, how to solve the time zone difference problem, how to motivate students’ engagement, learning outcomes and learning experiences when teaching online, and more.”
- link for the videos about teaching international students online – https://international.missouristate.edu/great.htm
- Interested in a framework of developing an active online courses for international students – https://p-zhang.com/framework-for-the-development-of-active-and-reflective-online-course-for-international-students/
CNAS Diversity and Inclusion Update
NEXT CNAS DIVERSITY ZOOM CONVERSATION – Friday, July 24 starting at 8:30 AM. If you would like to join us please email Dylan Welker to get the zoom link.
Inclusive Excellence on Campus for those who are interested in learning more –
Office of Diversity and Inclusion – https://diversity.missouristate.edu/diversity-and-inclusion.htm
Long Range Plan – Diversity Chapter – https://www.missouristate.edu/longrangeplan/diversity-inclusion.htm
Annual Plan 2019-2020 – https://www.missouristate.edu/president/action-plan.htm
New annual plan is being developed now and will be adopted August 7 by BOG.
- Dr. Tayo Obafemi-Ajayi is leading the NSF funded Mo LSAMP program at MSU – https://science.missouristate.edu/lsamp/
- Dr. Matt Pierson is currently leading the NSF STEM Scholars program at MSU – https://sstem.missouristate.edu/
- Dr. Einhellig, Dr. Rebaza and I received NSF funding for an Advance program at MSU – https://science.missouristate.edu/ADVANCE.aspx We are still in the first year of this project but will be sharing updates soon.
- CNAS submitted a preproposal to the HHMI Inclusive Excellence program early this year. The pandemic is slowing down the review process but we hope to hear something this fall.
|June 9 – July 29||Summer Session|
|July 30-31||Summer Session Final Exam Period|
|Aug 3||Summer Grades are Due|
|Aug 3||Academic Buildings unlocked|
|Aug 5||Virtual Townhall Meeting at 10:00 AM|
|Aug 10||All faculty and graduate students report to work for the fall semester|
|Aug 12||Virtual Showcase on Teaching and Learning|
|Aug 17||Fall 2020 Semester Classes Begin Today|
|Sept 2||CNAS Student Expo – Recruiting students for membership in student organizations|
|Sept 29 – Oct 1||Public Affairs Conference – All sessions virtual|
|Oct 17||MSU Homecoming|
|Oct 18||Spring/Summer Commencement|
|Nov 9-10||CNAS Career Expo – Virtual|
|Nov 12-16||CNAS Undergraduate Research Day|
|Dec 3||Last day of classes for fall semester|
|Dec 5-10||Final Exam Period|
|Dec 11||Fall Commencement|