The Copywriter GA is responsible for brainstorming, creating and transforming ideas into words that support the university’s brand through creative works. This person will write promotional materials, such as advertisements, brochures and digital communications.
Content will be utilized in print and Web applications, as well as direct mail marketing and email marketing.
This is a year-round assistantship.
Description of work
- Coordinates with the office of publications to research, develop and/or refine content for various university communications, including student recruitment efforts, alumni and development messaging and campus community campaigns.
- Works closely with publications office graphic designers, writers and editors.
- Collaborates with university clients to gather information, including core messaging and target audience.
- Collaborates with marketing and communications staff to develop content.
- Uses invention, imagination, originality and talent to write and edit content as assigned.
- Supports and futhers university brand messaging.
- Writes content according to Associated Press writing style and office policy to ensure text is accurate and grammatically correct.
- Prioritizes tasks to ensure deadlines are met.
- Shares office space, equipment (e.g. fax, copier) and materials with fellow employees.
- Runs office errands and other light duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising, communication, English, journalism, technical writing, persuasive communication or related area.
- Knowledge of software, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of using email.
- Knowledge of database applications.
- Knowledge of utilizing social media.
- Knowledge of conducting research as it applies to writing promotional materials, such as advertisements, brochures and digital communications.
- Must know how to read and write the English language.
- Knowledge of Associated Press writing style is not necessary but is helpful.
- To interview university faculty and staff members.
- To organize text to maximize scanning activity and promote calls to action.
- To write clear, concise and grammatically correct copy.
- To stay abreast of trends.
- To work in front of a computer for long periods of time.
- To be highly self-motivated and well organized.
- To research relevant areas and summarize the pertinent information.
- To communicate effectively with client contacts and with fellow employees
- To handle several tasks at once while paying attention to detail.
- To always be friendly and helpful to the public to ensure quality customer service and good public affairs.
Push, pull and carry up to 25 pounds.
Primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated in a general office environment.
- Must meet the requirements of employment as stated by Missouri State Graduate College.
- Should have valid driver’s license if operating a vehicle to conduct university business.
- This GA position requires an average of 20 hours a week.
- This GA position requires occasional night and evening work that may approach up to 10 hours a semester. During weeks when the GA works more than 20 hours, comp time is given the following week.
How to apply
- Please submit the following items to Publications@missouristate.edu:
- Download, complete and submit an application for graduate assistantship
- Three copywriting samples
- A letter of interest and current resume
For more information, go to the job posting on the MSU website.