Media, journalism and film students will have the opportunity to travel to Russia this summer on a study away trip with Associate Professor Dr. Andy Cline.
Cline will lead several media students on a 10-day train ride on the Trans-Siberian Railway. Dr. Paul Rollinson, from the department of geography, geology and planning, will join the trip with his students, as well.
“This trip is the last great rail adventure on earth and will offer media students the opportunity to produce a documentary film under challenging physical and cultural conditions,” Cline said.
Production component allows students to film experience
As of Feb. 5, there were four spots left in the program, which will take place over May 22-June 5. The program fee is $3,279, and the deadline to apply is March 1.
MJF students will work on three projects to complete their experience:
- A short video for COAL and Study Away about the trip
- A documentary (topic to be determined) about the TSRR
- A personal project for publication on the Springfield Report website
Associated courses include: JRN 300 (3), MED 300 (3), GRY 470 (3), or RUS 297 (3).
- Depart Springfield on May 22, arriving in Moscow on May 24
- Board the train on the Trans-Siberian Railway on May 25 from Moscow, traveling to Vladivostok with a two-night stay in Lake Baikal
- Depart Vladivostok on June 3, arriving in Springfield on June 5
Find out how to apply
Visit the study away website to apply, or contact Cline by email or at 417-836-4923.