I used to be skeptical of thrift shopping. I didn’t think that I would ever be able to find anything that I liked. I kept this negative preconception for years until my brother actually took me to a thrift store, and everything changed! Today, all of the clothes that I own are from thrift stores. They have developed into the style that I wear everyday, and I truly don’t think that I could ever go back to not thrifting! Here’s why:
- Thrift stores are cheap, extremely cheap. You can save so much money! Look for sales too! And if you’re lucky…
- You might find something valuable for almost no money at all
- I once found a pair of Dr. Martens in great shape for $7.50. These shoes generally cost around $135
- You can create a new style
- They’re eco-friendly!
- Think about it: second-hand stores keep unwanted clothes out of landfills. Help save the environment!
- Shopping at thrift stores may help your community
- Many thrift stores use their retail platform to provide much-needed services to the community
- For example, the DAV gives profits to veterans
With these benefits in mind, thrift shopping sounds great, right? And it is! However, at times it may seem difficult to find items that you like. Here are some tips to help make your thrifting experience be the best it can be:
- Always go in with an open mind; you never know what you could find!
- Have an idea of what you need
- Thrift stores can become crazy at times and are constantly being filled with lots of clothes, so it’s a good idea to have some thoughts on what you are looking for
- Have good timing
- Goodwill announces the color of the tag that will be on sale on Sunday’s
- Red Racks has newsletters that you can sign up for, and they will send you notifications on sales
- Super Thrift has their sales posted on their doors
- Tip: Saturday’s = dollar day!
- Thrift stores have lots of sales, so it’s definitely good to go during that time!
- Explore beyond clothing
- Along with clothes, many thrift stores have jewelry, furniture, home appliances, and records!
Thrift shopping is extremely beneficial not only to you but to your community and even the environment! Especially for college students on a tight budget, thrift shopping is the way to go. Over the past two years, I’ve saved hundreds of dollars and have completely redesigned my style; it’s a great feeling to have more money AND more clothes! Try out a thrift store today; you won’t regret it!