At approximately 12:40 a.m. on April 23, 2023, there was an off campus shooting between two groups of individuals in two different vehicles at the Kum and Go at 609 E. Elm Street, which is northwest of the main campus. Three individuals received what are believed to be non-life-threatening injuries and were treated at a local hospital. The Springfield Police Department continues to investigate but does not currently have any suspects in custody.
There is not an immediate danger to the campus community. None of those involved are believed to be part of the university community.
- Be aware of your surroundings, particularly late at night.
- Avoid interacting with unknown individuals and groups.
- Avoid off-campus areas with increased rates of serious crimes.
- Utilize the Bear Line during its hours of operation.
- Utilize the Campus Safety “Safe Walk” program rather than walking alone.
If you have information concerning this incident, you are encouraged to contact the Springfield Police Department at 417-864-1810 or 9-1-1 for immediate assistance. If you want to remain anonymous, you may report information to Crime Stoppers at 417-869-TIPS (8477) or www.P3tips.com.