Why should your department or organization join social media? The office of web and new media discussed the strategy behind joining social media and best practices for managing your accounts during Social Media 101.
Going where the people are
From marketing to public relations, social media:
- Empowers you to be your own journalist and get your story out.
- Allows you to connect with people where they are.
- Allows you to build relationships with people who are interested in your organization and activities.
- Can empower people to be ambassadors for your brand.
Each social media platform has a unique user base, meaning that different platforms may allow you to reach different key audiences for your brand. Demographics for popular platforms are below:
Key practices for all platforms
- Integrate social media into your communications plan. Set goals for your accounts.
- Adopt a long-term philosophy. If you decide to commit to a page, stick with it. Post frequently and consistently.
- Content is king. Write like a journalist: Master the headline and lead
- Be authentic and infuse personality into your posts.
- Regularly use photos on Facebook and LinkedIn, occasionally on Twitter
- Use hashtags on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Tag relevant people, places and locations when possible
- Whenever possible, provide a link for more information
- Connect with your followers offline by promoting your accounts at events, hosting contests, etc.
Review our basic tips for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram by downloading the presentation slides.
Register for more social media trainings
Want to learn more about social media? Consider registering for these upcoming trainings: