Transitioning from high school to college is hard but here at Missouri State, we have a great experience we want to share with you and your student…the Ursa Experience – Maroon & White Overnight, a 3-day, 2-night engagement camp that immerses your student in Missouri State. They learn traditions, explore their personal strengths, move in early, learn about the campus, make connections before they even start classes and discover how to make their Missouri STATEment plus they have fun! The dates for 2019 are August 12-14th. Please note: students in the Pride Band cannot attend Ursa due to the conflict in dates.
But if that’s not enough to convince you, here are the top 10 reasons, according to our Ursa 2018 participants (called Minors), for attending Ursa:
- Make friends that last a lifetime!
- Being able to say “Remember that time at Ursa when…” with your new friends
- Learning the fight song (because no other new Bears will know it)!
- Always knowing someone on your way to class
- Starting you collection of #BearWear t-shirts
- Gain knowledge of your strengths and how you can apply those to your college career.
- Confidence booster for the freshman year/makes the transition less scary
- Opens doors for other leadership opportunities i.e. URSA Major (upperclassmen facilitator for Ursa)
- Great way to get involved before school starts
- Moving in early and having time to get yourself situated well in advance to classes starting
As you can see, the Ursa Minors really had a good time and they make a case for your student taking part in this tradition!
Registration is now open. Financial assistance is available also (http://www.missouristate.edu/assets/newbears/Ursa_Financial_Assistance_Application.pdf). Visit the Ursa website to find out more information. With the financial assistance, your student will only have to pay $25 to attend instead of the $100. If you student wants to apply for financial assistance, remind them NOT to register for Ursa until they hear back from me. If they register before they are awarded financial assistance, we cannot refund the $100.
The deadline to register is Friday, July 26th at 5pm. If you have questions, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (417) 836-3060.