While the academic year has just begun, we are hard at work preparing for SOAR (Student Orientation, Advisement & Registration) sessions for a new class of students. A critical factor in our program’s success is selecting strong students to serve as orientation leaders.
Here are six reasons I would encourage your student to apply to be a SOAR leader.
- Building skills. SOAR leaders train extensively for their roles, but they often report that they truly grow when their skills are put to the test. Leaders frequently share that they learn how to better facilitate group discussion, speak publicly, solve problems, think critically, and work well with others different than them—all of which are skills highly sought after by employers.
- Earning perks. SOAR leaders earn many great perks for their service, including wages, on-campus housing, a summer meal plan, a SOAR uniform, and other gifts. Various departments across campus call upon the SOAR leaders to test new programs, provide student feedback, or apply for other important jobs or leadership positions. Being a SOAR leader has its perks!
- Building relationships. Our leaders have a unique opportunity to meet many new students through their duties, and they often form lifelong friendships with their fellow leaders. In addition, working closely with faculty and staff during the program help them form bonds with advisors, instructors, deans, and even the University president!
- Learning from others. Being a campus-wide program, SOAR leaders work with a diverse range of people from different majors, ages, organizations, backgrounds, and nationalities—many that they may have not met otherwise. Listening to and working with these individuals can provide them with a new understanding of the Missouri State community.
- Using campus resources. In preparing to help new students and families, SOAR leaders learn a great deal about Missouri State’s resources. This information certainly benefits them as they continue to navigate their own Missouri State experience.
- Representing the school your student loves. SOAR leaders represent the University and help welcome new members of the Missouri State community. We rigorously select leaders to ensure they take this responsibility seriously. It is truly an honor to be selected as a SOAR leader, and our leaders are very proud of their role.