Happy Pi Day!!!
CNAS Public lecture series tomorrow evening, March 15 -– What’s the point? Some mathematical hows and whys, Temple Lecture Hall 002, 7:30 PM
Dr. Steven Senger, Department of Mathematics
I hope to see you there!!!
As part of Women’s History Month, Dr. Bonnie Sachatello-Sawyer has been invited to campus to give presentations on Tuesday, March 15. Presentations will be in Meyer Library 101.
The first presentation begins at 3:30 pm and addresses questions students might have about “social engineering” and how and why Bonnie went about creating her own non-profit organization, Hopa Mountain. The evening presentation is also in the Library Auditorium and begins at 7 pm. Bonnie will speak on “Living a Public Life” about her work on reservations and with poor, rural, non-reservation communities as well.
Mar 16-18 – Statewide Collaborative Diversity Conference
I look forward to seeing some of you at this conference!
I have decided to highlight to some outstanding ways in which individuals or groups in CNAS have made and continue to make a difference.
Please send me your stories.
- First I want to recognize Dr. Peter Plavchan (PAMS) for his recruitment efforts and his thoughtful reflections on inclusive excellence by recruiting the next generation of astronomers. Check out his blog by clicking on the link.
- The CNAS Diversity Committee has developed several posters (some are posted in Temple Hall outside of room 143 and others are posted in departments). The committee is committed to producing more posters and we are working on a website to display them as well. This is a great way to show that anyone with a passion for the disciplines in this college can be successful! Thank you to all of the committee members!!! The first round of posters are outstanding!
Congratulations CNAS Students!
+ 3 Minute Thesis results from February 27, 2016
+ Several students and faculty of the biology department attended the Annual ASM Missouri Valley and Missouri Branch Meeting conference on March 5 at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, KS. Attendees included:
- Dr. Kyoungtae Kim with Mariel Delgado Cruz (undergraduate student), Bryan Banh (graduate student), Pelin Makaraci (graduate student), Uma Saimani (graduate student), Sara Woodman (graduate student), Michelle Williams (alumna, now a doctoral student at Mizzou);
- Dr. Chris Lupfer with Abbi Mabary (undergraduate student), Angeline Rodriguez (undergraduate student);
- Dr. Paul Schweiger with Marshal Blank (graduate student) and Neil Bolduc (undergraduate student).
+ Three MSU students and one alumna won 4 out of 8 awards! (6 oral session awards and 2 for poster session – undergrad and grad students judged separately)
- Best Undergraduate Session 2 Talk – Mariel Delgado Cruz
- Best Undergraduate Poster – Angeline Rodriguez
- Best Medical Microbiology/Immunology Oral Session 2 Talk – Pelin Makaraci
- Best General Microbiology Oral Session 1 Talk – Michelle Williams
The judges were very impressed by all of our students at the conference. Other universities in attendance included: Oklahoma State University, University of Oklahoma, University of Missouri, Kent State, University of Kansas, Kansas State University, and University of Nebraska-Lincoln, among others.
Shannon Dulz and Dan Jones attended STEM Day at the Capitol – THANK YOU!
Due Dates –
- Please sign up to be a judge for the regional science fair – see link to volunteer in the attachment.
- March 15 – All faculty intending to apply for promotion/tenure in fall of 2016 must submit their names to department heads and dean today!
- March 28 – Faculty/Staff award nominations due by 12 noon on Monday, March 28 and the awards reception scheduled for April 27.
- April 6 – Abstracts due for Graduate College IDF
- April 8 – Abstracts are due for CNAS Undergraduate Research Day
CNAS Promotions – Congratulations!!!
Senior Instructor Jennifer Pursley – MTH
Senior Instructor Becky Baker – PAMS
Associate Professor with tenure Adam Harbaugh – MTH
Associate Professor with tenure Matt Pierson – GGP (coop engr program)
Professor Anita Liu – CSC
Professor Kyoungtae Kim – BIO
Distinguished Professor Bob Pavlowsky – GGP
CNAS HIRING UPDATE – 2016
o GGP – Matt McKay, PhD West Virginia University (2015) will be joining us in August 2016.
o CSC – Tony Clark, PhD Michigan State University (2016) will be joining us in August 2016.
o BIO – Debra Finn, PhD Colorado State University (2006) will be joining us in January 2017.
o We have several more interviews this week so we will know more soon!
NEW GRANT FUNDING, CONTRACTS and AWARDS
Peter Plavchan (PAMS) – Congratulations on your award from NASA through the Missouri EPSCoR program!
Mike Reed (PAMS) – Congratulations on your grant from NASA for K2 observations of pulsating subdwarf B stars in fields 6 and 7!
Featured faculty websites:
All CNAS Seminars are posted on the master calendar.
The latest CNAS NEWS is posted online. Recognize your students/colleagues for their work and contributions!
Send student/faculty accomplishments to your department head and me.
- March 22: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) Dr. Mike Reed (MSU, Astrophysics) will talk about space exploration and how it might help explain the origins of life on Earth.
- March 29: Alien (1979) Dr. Tamera Jahnke (MSU, Chemistry) will be discussing the gender disparity in science.
Mar 24-25 Spring Holiday – no classes (offices open Mar 24, offices closed Mar 25)
Mar 28 Faculty/Staff Award Nominations are due by 12 noon.
Mar 29-31 OSEF (Ozarks Science & Engineering Fair) – Judging March 29, Awards March 31
Mar 30 Sam Kean lecture at 5:00 PM in PSU Theatre
Mar 31 HRA Board of Advisers Speaker Series featuring Chris Morris – CPK
April 5-8 Public Affairs Conference – Free to faculty, staff and students. I hope to see you at one of the presentations!
Apr 5 CNAS Public Lecture Series – The devil is in the details, Temple Lecture Hall 002, 7:30 PM
Dr. Gautam Bhattacharyya, Department of Chemistry
Apr 21 CNAS Undergraduate Research Day, 2:00-4:00 – Abstracts due April 8; awards at 4:00 PM
Apr 23 Graduate College IDF – Abstracts due April 6
Apr 27 CNAS Faculty/Staff Awards reception, 4:00 pm, Temple 001
May 4 All Faculty Recognition Reception at 3:00 PM in PSU Ballroom
May 13 Commencement – CNAS at 10:00 AM
Tune in every Thursday morning at 9:45 AM for 5-minute STEM SPOTS on KSMU hosted by Dr. David Cornelison.
As always, please submit items for the next CNAS NEWS! (Projected delivery – March 29)