At Missouri State University, our three-pillared Public Affairs Mission drives everything we do.
Ethical leadership. Cultural competence. Community engagement. These are the foundations for each program, event, lesson, discussion and initiative at the university.
Recently, the need for cultural competence has come to center stage, and we know there is always work to be done to be a more inclusive and supportive institution.
In the McQueary College of Health and Human Services, we developed a comprehensive list of initiatives to ensure we are doing whatever we can to provide supportive and inclusive instruction within the college.
- Host MCHHS Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Speaker Series.
- Mandate Faculty Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council representation at every MCHHS leadership meeting.
- Establish a Student Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council.
- Seek faculty-wide training related to diversity and inclusion in healthcare.
- Expand inclusion in classroom instruction.
- Utilize best practices in accessibility, diversity and cultural competence in reviewing teaching materials for all classes.
- Update and modify many courses to include a diversity and inclusion component.
MSU aims to provide resources for every student to feel supported at every step of their college journey. Here are some good places to start: