Throughout SOAR this summer, Computer Services has received all sorts of tech questions from incoming students and their families. We enjoyed answering every question sent our way and strive to help freshman be as prepared as possible for the upcoming school year. Here we’ve collected the most frequently asked questions from this year’s SOAR sessions along with tips from our Handsome Maroon Vests that we think might help out new Bears!
Frequently Asked Questions:
- “Do I need to have a laptop from day one?”
We understand that the purchase of a laptop or computer is a big investment. If you’re not ready to buy one, our labs are always available for students to use! You can stop by and use our Macs or PCs for all of your work until you decide which system is right for you.
- “Should I buy Microsoft Office?”
Current MSU students can install Office 365 ProPlus applications (such as Word, Outlook, Excel, etc.) for no additional cost! The Microsoft Student Advantage Program applies to not only Microsoft Windows and macOS X, but also to most mobile devices. Check out this article for how to install Office 365 ProPlus or go over to our Microsoft Student Advantage Program information page on the Help Desk website to learn more!
- “Do I need to buy a printer?”
Both campus labs and Residence Halls offer printing allotments to students. $60 per academic year is set aside for students to use at on-campus labs and Residence Halls have front desk printers where residents can print up to 350 pages per semester at no cost. Check out more information on the $60 allotment here or the Residence Hall printing here.
- “Which laptop should I buy?”
It all depends on your academic needs. Feel free to contact us for personalized assistance! You can also visit our website for a list of hardware suggestions.
- “Where are your Open-Access Computer Labs?”
We have 3 labs located in Meyer Library 105, Cheek Hall 150, and Glass Hall 229! Check out lab hours, features, and more information here.
- “Do you sell laptops?”
We do not sell laptops. If you want to buy hardware, the MSU Bookstore sells Apple products or we have PC suggestions here on our website.
- “What are the Help Desk hours?”
- “Are you the same as ResNet?”
No, ResNet assists MSU Residence Hall Students with their tech issues. The Help Desk helps all students, faculty, and staff, whether or not they live on campus! Check out ResNet here.
- “Where can I find your online guides?”
Experts Knowledge Base is where our online guides and documentation are located. There you can find how-to or troubleshooting articles that may be able to help you solve your technology issues. Check out the Knowledge Base here.
- “How can I reach the Help Desk?”
You can reach us by phone, live chat, or email for assistance. We also offer walk-in help at our 3 labs! Find our Help Desk hours, lab locations, and contact information on our website.
- “How do I set up WiFi on my devices?”
On our Experts Knowledge Base, we have guides that walk you through setting up the MSU Wireless on your PC, Mac, or mobile devices. You can find all of our how-to articles here.
5 Quick Tech Tips from our #HandsomeMaroonVests:
- Did you know your student email is just your BearPassLogin@live.missouristate.edu?
- Make sure to always log out of everything when you’re finished using a public computer.
- When you change your BearPass password, make sure to update it on all of your devices.
- Consider using online storage options instead of a flash drive so you always have access to your files! We recommend OneDrive.
- Have an Ethernet cable on hand if you have a laptop — even if you don’t think you’ll use it. It’s a good backup in case the WiFi is down.
If you have a technology question that wasn’t answered above, make sure to contact us and we’d be happy to help you out. Everyone here at the Help Desk is so excited to meet all the new Bears coming to MSU this year!