Be kind. Be positive. Be strong. Be safe.
Upcoming Events & Information
Encourage your students to attend the CNAS Student Expo! It is taking place September 13 from 1 to 3PM on the Bear Head Plaza in front of Plaster Stadium. This is a great opportunity for students to learn about the different student organizations within the college. See attached flyer.
Faculty & Staff free portrait day – September 14 from 10AM to 1PM in PSU 317
Flu and Covid Information – Flu Information – Magers Health and Wellness Center – Missouri State
Flu Vaccine available starting September 18
New COVID vaccine is not yet available but will be posted on the Mager’s website
SWMO Regional Water Conference – Water: Trends that Matter, September 26. Students may attend free! However, they must still RSVP for the event.
Academic Advisor Forums:
Exploring Ethical Frameworks for Advising: Part 1 – Sept 20, from 12PM to 1PM in PSU 313
Public Affairs Conference is September 26-28. Please find a session to attend and send your students as well!
Events in the community
Looking for events around Springfield? Check out https://celebratesgf.com/!
Upcoming CNAS Seminars –
Check out the CNAS Master Calendar for this week’s seminars – College of Natural and Applied Sciences – Missouri State University
- GGP – 2:30-3:30PM, Friday, September 15, in Blunt Hall 345. By Dr. Bryce Lowery, University of Oklahoma. “Public Policy to address Physical Determinants of Health Case Studies of Cannabis Exposure and Food Access”
Recent news from the college:
- 2023 CNAS Student Expo scheduled for Sept. 13
- Addressing community-based refugee programs in the U.S.
- Making sustainability a focus in construction
- Missouri State University’s approach to sustainability catching attention
- SPS, Missouri State University, OTC & CoxHealth partner to create Alliance for Healthcare Education
- If you would like to see past stories please visit CNAS NewsWatch!
Blunt (Temple Hall) Construction Details through mid-September. If you have questions, please contact the Dean’s Office email directly BluntHallConstruction.edu
9/11/23 thru 9/29/23
- South side generator duct bank work continues as required. (Concrete and dump trucks on Briggs Street)
- Electrical work in basement and Blunt Hall electrical room for permanent power.
- Footing & Foundation continues. (Concrete and Dump Trucks on JQH Parkway)
- Deep pier drilling continues (noise and vibration like demolition). Concrete and Dump Trucks on JQH Parkway.
Prepare for the Brightspace Transition
All faculty will have access to Brightspace beginning Monday, October 16. This access includes a sandbox course, where you can learn the system and explore its capabilities while participating in training. After October 16, you can use the class dashboard to request a source course for building your courses. Faculty who want to use Brightspace in Spring 2024 can attend training sessions this fall. During the spring semester, there will be trainings for faculty who plan to begin using Brightspace in Fall 2024. On-demand resources are currently in development; these resources will be available within the Brightspace platform to assist faculty as they’re in the process of building their courses. All Missouri State courses will be transitioned and live in the Brightspace system by May 13, 2024.
Faculty can use My Learning Connection to register for the following virtual training sessions:
Fall Semester Trainings
- Brightspace Instructor Essentials
October 17, 1–3 p.m.
A D2L virtual training event where faculty learn to access and navigate the Brightspace Learning Environment.
- Session 1: A Student’s Life
October 19, 9–11 a.m.
A D2L virtual training event focused on the student experience in Brightspace. Introduces a variety of instructor tools and features that are used to create engaging learning experiences for students.
- Session 2: Grading a Course
October 23, 9–11 a.m.
A D2L virtual training event working through how an instructor grades a variety of assessments in Brightspace. Includes effective practices for grading as well as student progress reporting.
- Session 3: Communicating
October 24, 9–11 a.m.
A D2L virtual training event focused on using Brightspace to communicate with students, support learning and apply communication strategies that can motivate and engage students.
- Session 4: Can We Build It?
October 24, 1–3 p.m.
A D2L virtual training event focused on building key course elements, setting up the gradebook, copying existing content into courses and building new content materials.
- Session 5: Yes, We Can!
October 31, 1–3 p.m.
A D2L virtual training event focused on building course activities and assessments. Includes effective practices and how to use the assignment, quiz, and discussion tools to reflect course objectives.
- Session 6: The End is the Beginning
November 2, 9–11 a.m.
A D2L virtual training event designed to take your course to the next level. Dives deeper into practices and tools that are of high interest to participants and answer questions that may not have been covered in earlier sessions.
- September 13 – CNAS Student Expo (student organization recruitment activity)
- September 14 – (Fall 2023) Faculty Senate
- September 14 – Majors Fair
- September 15 – Distinguished thesis award nominations due before 5pm
- September 26-28 – Public Affairs Conference
- September 30 – Thesis/non-thesis funding application for grant student funding
- October 1 – (2023-2024 Tenure/Promotion) – Faculty applicants submit Tenure and/or Promotion dossier to Department Heads – External reviews are due to Department Heads for inclusion in the dossier
- October 2 – State of the University Address, 12:30-2:00 PM, PSU Theatre
April 8, 2024 Next Solar Eclipse in Missouri – The path of totality through North America – the Great North American Eclipse of April 8, 2024 | eclipse2024.org