First Day of Fall Classes 2015
Fall 2015 semester begins today. See Academic Calendar for deadlines for drops, withdrawals, and refunds.
Change of Schedule & Late Registration
Schedule changes and late registrations can be processed through My Missouri State or in the Office of the Registrar for the fall 2015 semester through August 21.
Last Day for Full Refund
The last day to change sections, drop, or withdraw from Fall 2015 Full Semester classes, with 100% refund, is today.
Change of sections, drops, and withdrawals can be processed online at My Missouri State. If you have a hold on your account preventing the use of the web registration system to drop a class, contact the Office of the Registrar prior to midnight on the deadline day. Office hours are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. After 5:00 pm, email Registrar@missouristate.edu from your University email account, or fax 417-836-6334.
Haven is a required online course for all in-coming freshmen and transfer students to complete to initiate understanding of consent, sexual assault, relationship violence, and bystander intervention. If this course is not completed by the student prior to the student’s spring registration date within the student’s first year at Missouri State University, a Registration Hold will be placed on the student’s account. This hold will be lifted from the account once completion of Haven has occurred.
To Log In:
- Always sign in at: my.missouristate.edu
- After signing in, go under the Academics tab and find the New Student or Transfer Student section. Within this square, there is a training section and the Haven link is in this area. To access Haven, choose the link and you can begin.
Course problems? Contact Emma Rapp, Dean of Students Graduate Assistant at Rapp703_@missouristate.edu or at (417) 836-6087
Those with disabilities who may not be able to access Haven because of the instructional format or design of the training program may request an accommodation by contacting the Disability Resource Center at email@example.com or 417-836-4192
Ask the Experts Blackboard Open Session
August 14 ALL DAY and August 21 1:30-4:30, Meyer Library room 205
In order to help get your courses ready for Fall 2015, Computer Services will offer two full days of our Ask the Experts Blackboard Open Sessions on August 13th and 14th, 2015.
From 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on both days, come to the Meyer Library 205 Technology Training Center and get learning management system assistance from one of our awesome Help Desk support specialists.
These sessions don’t require any registration and are open to all who need help getting ready for the coming semester.
Family Welcome Session
August 14, 3:00 and 4:00 Plaster Student Union Theatre
Join us for an interactive welcome session that delves more into campus life for your student. There are two sessions and you are welcome to pick the session you would like to attend. Refreshments are served (and after a hot day of moving, you will enjoy the cool theatre and sweet treats). All family members are welcome.
President’s Family Reception
August 14 7:00pm, Davis-Harrington Welcome Center
Join President Clif Smart and New Student & Family Programs for the President’s Family Reception Friday, August 14th, 7pm – 8:30 pm. Families of incoming freshmen are invited to enjoy a delicious selection of desserts in the new Davis-Harrington Welcome Center while our new students participate in Welcome Weekend events. You will have the opportunity to connect with other families and visit with faculty and staff.
August 14 7:30pm, Allison Recreation Fields
This high-energy, interactive event is the perfect way to make new friends at Missouri State. Playfair is a team-building experience that has a long-lasting effect on students. The event sponsored by the Residence Hall Association and the Office of Student Engagement.
For students only
Adult Student Orientation
August 15 8:30am-12:00noon, Plaster Student Union room 400
Each fall and spring semester, Adult Student Services offers an orientation for the adult student to introduce the various services Missouri State University offers. Knowing what to expect is a large part of alleviating anxiety about returning to school. Meet other students who, like yourself, are trying to balance the roles and responsibilities of home, family, and employment while learning more about the following:
Missouri State Online
Plaster Student Union
Parking & Campus Safety
Taylor Health Center
The Adult Student Welcome, which is held the Saturday before classes start each semester, also includes a campus tour so you can learn where things are located prior to the start of classes. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn about and familiarize yourself with all that we offer the adult student.
Fan Fest and Bear Bash
August 15 7:30pm, Plaster Student Union
Kick off your first Saturday night on campus by attending the Bear Bash Fan Fest at 7:30 p.m. before the doors open to Bear Bash at 9 p.m.
More than 5,000 students attend Bear Bash every year, making it one of the largest student events of the year. Enjoy free food, games, hypnotists, karaoke, bowling and much more. The first 1,000 students get a free Missouri State t-shirt. The event is sponsored by the Office of Student Engagement, Plaster Student Union, Student Activities Council, Residence Hall Association and Partners in Prevention.
New Student Convocation & Festival
August 16 2:00pm, JQH Arena & Plaster Student Union
New Student Convocation officially marks the start of the 2015-16 academic year. Learn more about MSU’s public affairs mission and this year’s theme of “Building Healthy Communities: Body, Mind and Spirit.” The event is sponsored by the office of the provost and the Division of Student Affairs.
Find your place at Missouri State by getting involved in a student organization. More than 150 student organizations and departments will host booths in the PSU to share information about their events and programs. The event is sponsored by the Office of Student Engagement.
Belong B Que
August 16 5:30 pm, Strong Hall Amphitheater
This barbecue is the perfect opportunity for students to learn about multicultural experiences at Missouri State, engage in fun activities and win prizes. Line and salsa dancing will follow from 7-9 p.m. at the Bill R. Foster and Family Recreation Center. The event is hosted by the Office of Multicultural Programs, the Office of Student Engagement and Residence Hall Association..
Find out more about SAC films, concerts, and comedy by looking at our SAC Events Blog.
SAC Films: Pitch Perfect 2
August 14 9:00pm North Mall and August 16 9:00pm PSU Theatre
After Playfair, the fun continues on the North Mall with the blockbuster film Pitch Perfect 2 on a giant inflatable screen. This event is completely free and will feature games and snacks as well.
On August 16 SAC will present the blockbuster film Pitch Perfect 2 in the Plaster Student Union Theater again! Join us for the some great laughs and free popcorn. This event is completely free to attendees.
After Hours: Bear Bash Bingo
August 15 9:00pm, Plaster Student Union FoodCourt
Students will play bingo, hang out with friends and have the chance to win gift cards from popular locations.
Campus Events: Stuff-a-Boomer
August 17 11:00am, Plaster Student Union
Stuff A Plush and Student Activities Council will be giving students the opportunity to “Stuff A Boomer” bear on National Build A Bear Day. We will have 300 bears for the students to self stuff accordingly.
SAC Films: Dive-In Movie 50 First Dates
August 18 7:00pm, Foster Recreation Center Pool
SAC and the Foster Recreation Center will be co-hosting a dive-in movie at the pool for the enjoyment of all as we show the classic film 50 First Dates starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore.
SAC Concerts: Carnival
August 20 9:00pm, Plaster Student Union North Mall
The fun continues with an free outdoor concert on the North Mall in front of the Plaster Student Union. The featured artist will be announced soon.
SAC Concerts: Opening Week Concert
August 19 7:00pm, Plaster Student Union North Mall
The fun continues with an free outdoor concert on the North Mall in front of the Plaster Student Union. The featured artist will be announced soon.
Campus Events: SAC Mixer
August 21 7:00pm, Plaster Student Union Level One Game Center
For students looking to join and get involved with SAC, a great way to come get to know the executive board and learn more is to come to the mixer. There will be free bowling, food, and drinks as well as drawings for Bearwear throughout the night.
For more opportunities, subscribe to the Community Opportunities Newsletter.
Ozark Food Harvest
Green beans, squash and corn, OH MY! It’s harvest time! Join Ozarks Food Harvest volunteer sessions to harvest fresh produce for those in need right here in the Ozarks. Garden sessions include:
Tuesdays 7:30-9:30 a.m. OFH home garden at Ozarks Natural Foods
Wednesdays 8:30-10:30 a.m. Fassnight Creek Farms
Thursdays 5:30-7:30 p.m. Victory Garden
Friday, July 24 8:30-10:30 a.m. Location to be determined
Schedule your session today! Apply and sign up through OFH’s online Volunteer Center atwww.ozarksfoodharvest.org/how-to-help/volunteer – indicate gardening as a skill in order to receive garden communication. Or contact Jo Thompson at 417.865-3411 ext. 114; firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Jo Thompson
The Gillioz Theatre is a historic venue in downtown Springfield. The Gillioz hosts a variety of events including live music, comedy, film screenings, fundraisers, and other community gatherings. Many events at the Gillioz Thea tre are staffed by volunteers. Volunteers for shows/concerts scan tickets, check ID’s, and help people find their seats. The Gillioz also welcomes students to gain service learning hours by working in our box office selling tickets, and assisting with administrative tasks.
Students interested in marketing or promotion can also help us put up posters for upcoming events, as well as research and help implement with new ways to promote our concerts and events.
Location: 325 Park Central East Springfield, MO 65806
Contact: Carrie Winchel
Phone: (417) 863-9491
Food Assistance for Students
Mondays at 3pm-6pm while MSU is in session
Tuesdays at 3pm-6pm while MSU is in session
The Food Pantry for Missouri State University Students is for any student facing food insecurity. This may be students going hungry, not able to make ends meet, facing a delay in Financial Aid or other assistance, or any other reason.
If you are interested in volunteering at the Well of Life, please click here to sign up!
Well of Life – MSU Student Food Pantry
418 S Kimbrough
Springfield, MO 65804
(Just across from the Qdoba near Bear Park North)
Girls on the Run of Southwest Missouri
Saturday, May 9
Girls on the Run inspires girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experiencee-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. Meeting twice a week in small teams of 8-20 girls, the program teaches life skills through fun, engaging lessons that celebrate the joy of movement. The 20-lesson curriculum is taught by certified Girls on the Run® coaches and includes three parts: understanding ourselves, valuing relationships and teamwork and understanding how we connect with and shape the world at large. Over the course of the program, girls will develop and improve competence, feel confidence in who they are, develop strength of character, respond to others and oneself with care and compassion, create positive connections with peers and adults, and make a meaningful contribution to community and society. Each team creates and executes a local community service project. At each season’s conclusion, the girls and their running buddies complete a 5k running event.
We are currently seeking volunteers for our spring program culminating celebratory 5k fun run on May 9th. To sign up, click here.
Location: Tefft Gymnasium at 1408 E Pythian St
Contact: Trish McAdams
For a review of events that have already happened, please visit our Athletics Blog Page.
- Wednesday, August 12 at 7:00pm, Women’s Soccer vs. Saint Louis, Betty and Bobby Allison Stadium
- Friday, August 14 at 8:00pm, Men’s Soccer vs. Missouri Valley College, Betty and Bobby Allison Stadium
- Fall Foster Recreation Hours
|Foster Recreation Center Hours||Fall Aquatics Hours||Fall Climbing Hours|
|Mon-Thurs, 6AM-11PM||Mon-Thurs, 7AM-9AM//11AM-10PM||Mon-Thurs, 4-10PM|
|Fri, 6AM-9PM||Fri, 7AM-9AM//11AM-8PM||Friday, 4-8PM|
|Sat, 9AM-9PM||Sat, 9AM-8PM||Sat, 1-5PM|
|Sun, Noon-11PM||Sun, Noon-10PM||Sun, CLOSED|
- Rec Fest Events Happening August 16-21
Join the Campus Recreation for the entire week of free activities, food, drinks, and prizes!
- Bear Fit Week Bearfit Free Week! Happening during the 1st week of school!! Join us from August 17-21st for an entire free week of BearFit classes such as; yoga, Zumba, cycling, ab attack, & much more. Also, don’t forget to purchase your Unlimited BearFit Pass for only $30 for the first 2 weeks of school. After that prices raise to $35, so don’t forget to stop by the Campus Rec and purchase your pass to save $5 (that’s basically a Jimmy Johns sandwich).
- Salsa and Line Dancing The Campus Recreation and Multicultural Program will hold a class on Sunday, August 16th from 7PM-9:30PM for Salsa & Line Dancing happening on the courts here at the Foster Rec. This event is completely free!
- Game Night On Monday the 17th, the Campus Rec will have a games night with thumbwars, aquatic trivia, survival game, and finger football! You can also indulge in snow cones and popcorn on the aquatics patio.
- Competitions and Dive-In Movie Tuesday activities include: Canoe Battleship, Kenducky Derby, and will host a Dive-In Movie showing 50 First Dates. These events will go on from 7-9PM. The winner of the canoe battleship and Kenducky Derby will receive a pool party, followed by promotional prizes. The fire pit will be lit up that night so everyone can enjoy S’mores
- Zumba Join us Wednesday night from 4:30-7PM for Zumba in the gym and personal trainer tips. We will also have a pull up, sit up, push up & plank competition, and a tricycle race. Winners will receive prizes! A chair massage will also be available.
- Intramural Sports Activities Intramural Sports will be hosting events from 6:30-10PM on the Allison Fields for Thursday the 20th. Activities include: Sand Volleyball, Spikeball, and Punt, Pass, Kick contest, with drinks and prizes!
- Outdoor Adventures Equipment Showcase • On Friday, Outdoor Adventures will showcase equipment and have a mock campsite on the patio from 12-6PM. Then, a glow climb on the climbing wall from 9-12AM.
- Outdoor Adventures has two kayak trip happening during August! For both trips OA will provide the kayaks, paddles, life jackets, trip guides, and transportation. All you need is a lunch and snacks. The cost is only $20 per trip! Pick one or go on both!!
• Join them on the James River Kayak trip August 22nd. They depart at 10AM and will explore one of Springfield’s most scenic rivers.
• They second Kayak trip is happening on August 29th. They will depart at 9AM and explore the Roaring River to Eagle Lake located just outside of Branson, MO.
- Lookout for the Intramural Bowling League. The Registration Deadline is September 2nd!
- Remember that the Foster Recreation Center offers the awesome services of Massage Therapy and Personal Training. More information can be found on our website at www.missouristate.edu/recreation