Exploring social issues through individual experiences
Sonia Nazario won a Pulitzer Prize for the feature that became Enrique’s Journey, the story of a Honduran boy searching for his mother in the U.S. Her book has become a popular choice for book groups and civic discussions. Nazario recently published a young adult version to include a younger audience in the national conversation about immigration.
Nazario is a projects reporter for the Los Angeles Times, specializing in social issues like hunger, drug addiction and immigration. She also serves as an advocate for unaccompanied immigrant children and Latino college students.
Nazario will address the Missouri State and Springfield communities at the 2016 Fall Convocation.
- What: Public Affairs Convocation
- When: 7 p.m., Nov. 1, 2016
- Where: Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts
- Who: Sonia Nazario
- Tickets: Free and open to the public; no ticket required
- Sponsor: Missouri State Public Affairs
Help us spread the word about this event to the Missouri State and local communities by sharing it on social media. If you are at the event, we want to hear about your experience!
We encourage you to join the conversation during the Public Affairs Convocation by posting about it on social media. Tag your posts with the official Missouri State Public Affairs hashtag: #CitizenBear
Make your post social media savvy
- Tag post with the official Public Affairs hashtag: #CitizenBear
- Whenever possible, tag:
- If applicable, tag the post with the Springfield, Missouri, hashtag: #SGF
- If you would like to provide a link for more information on the event, please link to Public Affairs Convocation
- When appropriate, boost your post by including a photo.
The following photos are available for your use:
- Pulitzer Prize winner @SLNazario discusses family, courage and commitment at free event @HammonsHall, Nov. 1: bit.ly/1Pb9WBK
- LA Times reporter, Pulitzer Prize winner @SLNazario speaks on immigration at Nov. 1 Public Affairs Convocation: bit.ly/1Pb9WBK
- Nov. 1 – Join @SLNazario as she discusses Enrique’s Journey, the @MissouriState common reader: bit.ly/1Pb9WBK
Sample Facebook posts
- Post: Missouri State freshmen are reading Enrique’s Journey, the story of a Honduran boy searching for his mother in the U.S. Author Sonia Nazario speaks to our community on Nov. 1.
- URL: bit.ly/1GEF5FT