Protein is the nutrient that we use to build and repair cells throughout our entire body—our muscles, hair, skin, nails, and even our metabolism and hormones are all influenced by protein.
Not only does protein play these important roles inside cells, but it also helps us in our day-to-day hunger. Protein aids in satiety, which means we feel fuller for longer from our meals. Especially for those of us who are on a limited budget for food, feeling less hungry & staying satisfied from our meals is so important!
The Bear Pantry offers many protein-rich foods to help you get what your body needs, including:
- Canned meats (tuna, chicken, salmon, sausage)
- Beef ravioli
- Beans (black, kidney, lentils, red, white, chickpeas)
- Nut butters
- Nuts and trail mix
- Grains: quinoa, farro
Here are 3 tips to help get enough protein in your day:
- Whatever the source, try to include a protein source with every meal in some way. Having scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast, putting canned meat or cheese in a sandwich, eating yogurt with your fruit, and adding milk as an ingredient (or a drink on the side) are all easy ways to up your protein.
- Animal proteins (meat, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs) typically pack more punch when it comes to protein content. Our bodies can use that protein very efficiently. If you aren’t a vegetarian or vegan, incorporating animal protein is a great way to get in your protein each day.
- At first glance, a lot of non-animal products might not seem to have as much protein—but combining two of them in a meal helps to boost that number and creates complementary proteins. Pairing complementary proteins provides all the essential building blocks your body needs to be a full and nutritious protein source. It’s a win-win!
- Some common combinations are rice and beans, hummus and bread, peanut butter on whole grain crackers, and soup with lentils and noodles.
Bear Pantry is here to help you meet your protein needs, stay strong, and keep you feeling full and satisfied! Our current hours are Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 10am-3pm, and Wednesday from 12pm-5pm. Come see us to find out more and stock up for the week.