Over the past year, many of Missouri State’s academic websites have undergone redesigns.
Here’s a recap of what we’ve done and what’s ahead.
We started with the college site and went from this:
The new MCHHS website went live last fall.
By the numbers
The success of the MCHHS redesign is shown in the numbers.
Through Google Analytics, we compared a three-period for the website: pre-redesign and post-redesign.
- The removal of outdated pages cutting down on unwanted or misguided traffic.
- Bounce rate is down from 83% to 28%.
- Session duration is up from 1:09 to 1:32.
- Site traffic is more qualified. Our users are more likely to find what they need. Top page views were:
- Major reduction of bounce rates on all devices. Especially mobile (reduced to 29% from 87%).
- Pre-redesign, there were top referrers that looked to be internal (Word, Teamwork) and now those referrers are what they should be: Google, search.missouristate, direct, Twitter, Facebook.
Going forward, we plan to continue emphasizing analytics in our redesign strategy.
More on MCHHS
These new websites feature the key aspects of our redesign strategies over the past 12 months:
- Concise, SEO-friendly messaging (using terms like “major” and “degree” more often) on the homepage and program pages. Example: BSN-Completion for nursing.
- Prominent call-to-action (CTA) buttons.
- Less clutter overall and a more more-friendly website.
Over the next 18-24 months, all department websites under MCHHS will undergo redesigns.
Other redesigned websites
Through the academic website project, several other departments and programs have undergone redesigns over the last year as well.
Defense and strategic studies got a much-needed refresh. The new website highlights DSS’s unique programs and location (Washington, D.C.)
Other redesigns since 2020 include:
- Childhood education and family studies
- Electronic arts
- Information technology and cybersecurity
- Media, journalism and film
The COVID-19 pandemic has slowed down our redesign workflow.
In the coming months, we’re hoping to pick up our usual pace and continue these redesigns, which we normally rotate among Missouri State’s eight colleges.
- Update the COVID-19 messaging on your website - June 1, 2021
- The latest on academic website redesigns - March 9, 2021
- Discover the power of analytics in higher ed - February 1, 2020
- Faculty and staff free portrait days are Sept. 4-5 - August 27, 2019
- Social media kit: Collaborative Diversity Conference - April 4, 2019
- Recap: Making Your Statement in a Digital World - February 25, 2019
- Faculty and staff free portrait days are Feb. 7-8 - January 16, 2019
- Improve your digital content strategies - January 14, 2019
- Redesigned kinesiology website: A fresh look for active programs - December 5, 2018
- Redesigned Doctor of Pharmacy website: Connecting one program at two schools - November 30, 2018