About a year ago I told you about financial reports we submitted to the NCAA. I clarified that despite allegations of exorbitant increases in athletics expenses from some observers, the newest report merely reflected a change in the way athletics expenses are reported. Nevertheless, the athletics department was over budget.
Latest NCAA report
Missouri State’s most recent NCAA report is now complete. You can find that report on the financial services webpage.
Highlights from the report include:
- Total athletics expenses increased by 4 percent
- Revenue from royalties, licensing, advertising and sponsorships increased by 154 percent
- Revenue from program, novelty, parking and concession sales increased by 37 percent
- Donor contributions (cash and in-kind) increased by 3 percent
- Ticket sales decreased by 18 percent
Moving forward, reducing expenses
Because of increased expenses and decreased revenue, the athletics department was again over budget. I have been clear with our athletics administrators and coaches that this trend must be reversed and that we must proactively reduce our athletics expenses. We have recently taken several significant steps to do this.
Last month we withdrew as the host for the 2017 Missouri Valley Conference Track and Field Championships. We also decided not to make approximately $600,000 in improvements to existing facilities that would have been necessary to host the tournament.
We formed an Athletics Budget Work Group chaired by Dr. Jim Hutter and tasked the group to find at least an additional $750,000 of ongoing athletics expenses to cut. I expect to receive the final report from that group this month.
Athletics are important to the university. Successful sports teams help in recruiting students, create a positive spirit on campus, lead to good alumni relations and aid fundraising efforts. The university must create and sustain competitive athletic programs, but we must accomplish that goal within a reasonable financial framework. In the current circumstances, that means containing costs.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
- Clif’s Notes for June 20, 2017 - June 20, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for June 13, 2017 - June 13, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for June 6, 2017 - June 6, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for May 30, 2017 - May 30, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for May 23, 2017 - May 23, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for May 16, 2017 - May 16, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for May 9, 2017 - May 9, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for May 2, 2017 - May 2, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for April 25, 2017 - April 25, 2017
- Clif’s Notes for April 18, 2017 - April 18, 2017