This weekend we had the privilege to host the Missouri Valley Conference Baseball Championship Tournament at Hammons Field. I hope you were able to attend some or all of the games.
While the Bears did not win the championship, hosting the tournament was an exciting experience. This weekend the Bears will play in the Regionals for the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. Please join me in cheering them on!
Summer full of activities for campus, community
Summertime at Missouri State brings numerous events and activities. Some of the highlights for this summer include:
- Tent Theatre: Missouri State University’s Tent Theatre 2017 continues a 55-year tradition of theatrical excellence with three outstanding productions that will have you rolling in the aisles.
- “She Loves Me” (June 14 – 17, 19 – 24) – The identities of anonymous romantic pen pals are revealed in this joyful musical.
- “The Three Musketeers” (June 29 – July 3, 5 – 7) – A secret affairs threatens to topple the monarchy, but chivalry saves the day.
- “Nice Work If You Can Get It” (July 12 – 15, 17 – 23) – A gang of bootleggers derail a ritzy wedding in this Jazz Age musical.
- Journey: In Springfield for the first time since 1980, Journey, with special guest Asia, will rock JQH Arena on July 3.
- Outstanding shows at Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts: This summer you can see big stars at MSU, including Julianne and Derek Hough, Bill Gaither and the Gaither Vocal Band, and Dancing with the Stars: Live.
We also host students of all ages at our wide array of summer camps and conferences, including:
- The Missouri Fine Arts Academy, a three-week summer residential program for highly motivated high school student artists in visual arts, theater, dance, creative writing and music.
- The Missouri Public Affairs Academy, which brings talented high school students from throughout the state together to develop their understanding of public affairs.
- Summer Writers’ Camps at which participants develop their craft in an intensive workshop experience, exploring a variety of genres and writing strategies.
- Bands Alive Summer Camp for middle and high school students concentrating on band music in the concert setting.
- Athletics camps in soccer, volleyball, men’s and women’s basketball, football, and athletic training.
I encourage all members of our faculty and staff to enjoy these activities and to welcome our summer guests with open arms.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!