Missouri statutes limit the type of graduate degree programs we can offer at Missouri State University. Statutes limit the degree programs some other public universities in the state can offer as well.
Time for a change
Over the last several months, I have been approached by several individuals about the possibility of having this limiting language removed.
When I reached out to other higher education leaders throughout Missouri, I learned that other university presidents have been approached by their stakeholders as well.
I, along with the presidents of several other Missouri public universities, have decided that the time is right to ask the legislature to remove these limitations and enact clear statutory language authorizing all public universities in the state to offer bachelors and graduate (including professional and doctoral) degree programs subject to coordinating board approval.
We are collaborating with several government relations consultants and a non-profit group called Missouri Foundation for Equity in Higher Education to work toward this statutory change.
Benefits for higher education
We do not have any immediate plans to roll out new doctoral or professional programs at Missouri State. However, we believe the proposed statutory changes will have a long-term positive impact on higher education in Missouri by:
- Allowing universities to be competitive in the educational marketplace
- Creating more educational pathways for students interested in pursuing careers that require a high level of education
- Allowing Missourians to obtain a graduate-level education in Missouri instead of leaving the state
- Encouraging more Missourians to pursue educational opportunities by providing a spectrum of graduate programs dispersed geographically throughout the state
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 17, 2020 - November 17, 2020
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 10, 2020 - November 10, 2020
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 3, 2020 - November 3, 2020
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 27, 2020 - October 27, 2020
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 20, 2020 - October 20, 2020
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 13, 2020 - October 13, 2020
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 6, 2020 - October 6, 2020
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 29, 2020 - September 29, 2020
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 22, 2020 - September 22, 2020
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 15, 2020 - September 15, 2020