Last week the Missouri Senate passed its version of the state budget. This version includes:
- A $10 million equity increase to Missouri State University’s ongoing core appropriation
- A $10 million appropriation for the University of Missouri’s precision medicine program
- All other universities received a $1 million core operating appropriation increase
- A block appropriation for the MoExcels program ($2.85 million designated for expansion of MSU’s nursing program)
As you know, we currently receive less state funding per student than any other university in the state. The $10 million equity adjustment would completely eliminate the disparity between MSU and the next lowest funded university.
This is a monumental step forward. If approved, this appropriation will forever change our university.
It will allow Missouri State to keep tuition affordable and substantially reduce the amount of tuition and fees students would otherwise have to pay next year. It will also allow the university to fund cost-of-living pay increases, minimum wage increases for student workers and expand academic programs.
Supporters of the equity increase
Sen. Lincoln Hough led the charge in the Senate for our equity increase.
In addition to Sens. Hough and Hegeman, several other senators on the Senate Appropriations Committee also demonstrated exceptional support, speaking in support of the committee’s higher education funding recommendations:
Please join me in thanking our legislators for their support of Missouri State University.
The next step
The next step is for the House and Senate to create a conference committee to reconcile differences between their versions of the budget. Among the differences to reconcile are the differences in amount of equity adjustment for MSU ($4.7 million in the House budget and $10 million in the Senate budget).
The reconciled budget will then go to the House and the Senate for a final vote before being delivered to Governor Parson for signature or veto.
We have interacted with the Governor’s office throughout legislative session, and we will continue to do so as we approach the final stages of the state’s budgeting process.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 12, 2021 - October 12, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Oct. 5, 2021 - October 5, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 28, 2021 - September 28, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 21, 2021 - September 21, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 14, 2021 - September 14, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Sept. 7, 2021 - September 7, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 31, 2021 - August 31, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 24, 2021 - August 24, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 17, 2021 - August 17, 2021
- Clif’s Notes for Aug. 10, 2021 - August 10, 2021