Our team was in Jefferson City last week advocating for Missouri State in the state budget. I am pleased to report that the legislature completed its work on the budget last week.
The final budget includes:
- A $10 million equity increase to Missouri State University’s ongoing core appropriation.
- A $10 million appropriation for the University of Missouri’s precision medicine program.
- All other universities will receive a $1 million core operating appropriation increase.
- Appropriations for the MoExcels program, including a $2.85 million appropriation to expand MSU’s nursing program.
As you know, we currently receive less state funding per student than any other university in the state. The $10 million equity adjustment eliminates the disparity between MSU and the next lowest funded university. With this funding, we can expand academic programs, keep tuition affordable and fund cost-of-living pay adjustments for employees.
Efforts for this equity increase were led by Rep. Elijah Haahr and Sen. Lincoln Hough. Rep. Cody Smith and Sen. Dan Hegeman chaired the committees that supported Missouri State’s equity increase throughout the budget process. Please tell our representatives and senators how much you appreciate their support.
The next step in the state’s budget process is for Gov. Mike Parson to sign or veto the budget. Our team has already begun working with Gov. Parson’s office to advocate that he approve the equity increase for Missouri State University.
The executive budget committee recommendations for the university’s budget will be presented to the Board of Governors later this week. Those recommendations will include revenue increases through state appropriations and a modest tuition increase. Unfortunately, a significant portion of those increases will be offset with an anticipated enrollment decrease of between 2 and 3 percent and an increase in the university’s required contribution under the state pension plan.
I’d encourage you to join the Legislative Network to keep up with the progress in Jefferson City and how it is affecting our campus.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 31, 2023 - January 31, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 24, 2023 - January 24, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 17, 2023 - January 17, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Jan. 10, 2023 - January 10, 2023
- Clif’s Notes for Dec. 20, 2022 - December 20, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Dec. 13, 2022 - December 13, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Dec. 6, 2022 - December 6, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 29, 2022 - November 29, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 15, 2022 - November 15, 2022
- Clif’s Notes for Nov. 8, 2022 - November 8, 2022