The Springfield Police Department is investigating a report of a rape that occurred on campus. The incident occurred at 2:00 a.m. on Wednesday, March 24, on lot 40, 213 S. Jefferson. A female was forced into a vehicle parked on lot 40 and sexually assaulted by a male she did not know. Neither individual is affiliated with Missouri State University.
If you have any information concerning this incident, you are encouraged to contact the Springfield Police Department at (417) 864-1810 or 9-1-1 for immediate assistance.
Sexual assault is never the fault of the victim. Below are some safety suggestions for all members of our community to consider that could prevent harm:
- Be active in supporting a safe and respectful community. If you see others engaging in disrespectful or inappropriate actions, speak up and get involved, or contact someone else to assist.
- Trust your instincts and do not ignore signs of trouble. If you feel uneasy or sense something is wrong: leave quickly, ask for help if there is someone nearby, or call 9-1-1.
- If you feel uncomfortable walking on campus, call for a Safewalk. Learn more at: https://www.missouristate.edu/safety/safe-walk.htm.
- Become familiar with the Bear Line Shuttle schedule. You can find more information at: https://www.missouristate.edu/transportation/bearline/.
- Stay with the crowd. Less bad things happen when you are with people you know and trust.
- Watch out for your friends and have them watch out for you.
- Be aware of your surroundings and alert to suspicious activity.
At Missouri State University we are committed to a safe environment for all students. To learn more about Missouri State University’s Sexual Assault resources visit: