In closed session at the June Board of Governors meeting, I presented my self-assessment to the board. As part of that presentation, I submitted the university’s end-of-year report. I also used a series of slides to highlight some of the university’s accomplishments outlined in the report.
I would encourage you to review the report and slides at your convenience. Highlights include:
- We hit an enrollment record on the Springfield campus for the seventh year in a row.
- We graduated more students than we ever have in the history of the university.
- We received a $10 million increase in our core operating funding and $2.85 million in one-time funding to expand the nursing program.
- We increased tuition by less than inflation over the last two years.
- We named the McQueary College of Health and Human Services, started the mechanical engineering program, became an All-Steinway school, and began the approval process for the Doctorate in Defense and Strategic Studies.
- We increased our faculty and staff diversity for the fifth year in a row (going from 10.6% in 2013 to 14.5% in 2018).
- We raised more than $48 million in external support, setting a new record in grant funding and exceeding $20 million in private support for two years in a row.
- We provided a 1% pay raise for faculty and staff in January and a 1.9% percent pay raise in July.
- The Lady Bears made a Sweet 16 appearance.
- We completed construction projects on Hill Hall, Plaster Center, Woods House, the Center for Academic Success and Transition, and the Temple Greenhouse.
- We collaborated to establish the African-American Heritage Trail, dedicated NPHC plots, and hosted the Missouri Association of Higher Education and Disability Conference.
These accomplishments do not belong to the administration or the board. They belong to entire body of faculty, staff, students and supporters that make up the Missouri State University community. Please join me in celebrating a successful year as we prepare for what next year holds.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!