Homecoming is one of my favorite times on campus. Alumni return and students cheer at pep rallies and competitions, build parade floats and participate in a variety of activities to create their own memories of Missouri State.
I encourage all members of the campus community to participate in Homecoming activities this week. Highlights include:
- Rockstar, a student talent competition, is tonight at 7 p.m. in Hammons Student Center
- Yell-Like-Hell Pep Rally is at 6 p.m. on Thursday in Hammons Student Center
- A Miranda Lambert concert is at 7 p.m. on Friday in JQH Arena
- The Band of Bears Homecoming Parade at 9 a.m. on Saturday on John Q. Hammons Parkway
- The Bears football game against the University of Northern Iowa is on Saturday with tailgating starting at 11 a.m. in Bearfest Village and kickoff at 2 p.m. in Plaster Stadium
Join us for It’s On!
After the football game, join us at Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts for an epic surprise event—It’s On! Doors open at 5:30 p.m. There will be a HUGE announcement from actor and Missouri State alumnus, John Goodman. After the big reveal, the party moves to the heart of campus for a food truck fair, fireworks, entertainment and more.
All attendees will receive $8 in Bear Bucks to cash in at an array of food truck vendors parked on campus. The first 500 people will receive free t-shirts and all attendees will receive swag bags.
You can find more information on the website.
Board of Governors meets Friday
Before we cheer on the Bears and celebrate It’s On!, the Board of Governors will meet on Friday. Highlights for their meeting include:
- Receiving presentations about the online speech therapy program operated by an alum, Greenwood Laboratory School and this year’s What’s New at MSU video
- Authorizing bond refinancing terms that will result in a net savings to the university of more than $1 million
- Voting on changes to the university Housing Policy
- Electing 2020 board officers
The main discussion topic at the board meeting will be results from the climate survey we administered in spring 2019. I will update you on those results and the board’s discussion next week.
Wall of Fame inductees
Following the board meeting, we will welcome new inductees to the university’s Wall of Fame at 4 p.m. in the PSU Ballroom. The Wall of Fame honors former faculty and staff members who significantly contributed to the success and positive experience of students.
This year’s inductees are:
- Earle Doman
- Neosha Mackey
- Virginia Mee
- Linda Pettijohn
- Denny Pilant
- Burnie Snodgrass
You can find more information about these individuals in the university’s press release.
I hope you will join me in congratulating these six inductees.
Thanks for all you do for Missouri State!