Congratulations to Dr. Wafaa Kaf, professor of audiology in the department of communication sciences and disorders at Missouri State University.
Kaf was recently elected to serve as a member-at-large on the 2023-24 Academy Board of Directors for the prestigious American Academy of Audiology (AAA) for a three-year term. Previously, she was appointed to serve as the program chair for the 2022 AAA Conference.
Her goal is to advance the audiology profession nationally and internationally through interprofessional collaboration, education, academic service, mentorship and scholarship.
Kaf went through an extensive five-step selection process:
- Members of the AAA organization nominated her to submit an application and serve on their board of directors.
- After accepting the nomination, she completed a comprehensive application for her vision, objectives and qualities as a leader.
- The nomination committee reviewed all submitted applications and made a selection of the final seven nominees to be written on the ballot for election.
- Since Kaf was selected to be on the ballot, she also provided a biography and a two-minute recorded speech so voters could get to know her better before the final election.
- She was elected alongside two more finalists to serve on the board.
Kaf looks forward to creating real change in the audiology community.
“I’m a hard worker who takes initiative and is eager to take on new challenges,” Kaf said. “I also have a strong desire to serve others, which has been evidenced by my past work in the community.
“Additionally, my cultural background and experience in diversity, equity and inclusion will allow me to help further promote this effort within the audiology community.”